Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I required to live on campus?
- There is currently no requirement to live on campus. We strongly encourage students to live on campus for at least their first year. Approximately 80% of first year students do live on campus, and we find that increased opportunities for engagement by living on campus leads to increased retention of those students typically.
- Are there restricted freshman housing options?
- Freshman can request to live in any residential facility, except for Greek Housing where they are not affiliated. They can live with upper-class students or other first year students. There are no restrictions on the requests as to where they would like to live. Assignments are made for current students first and then for first year students based on the date we receive application and deposit.
- Am I required to have a meal plan?
- All residential students are required to have a meal plan. Beginning in Fall 2019 all specialty housing options will be permitted to opt out of the full meal plan and select the lesser 5-meal plan.
- Exceptions are only made for approved, documented ADA accommodations.
- What appliances/items can I bring, or can I not bring?
- We have a “suggested packing list” that includes items that you may not think to bring, as well as items that you should not bring. Generally, the limitations are on fire safety concerns, such as appliances with an open heating element or open flame (i.e. Foreman grill, hot plate or candles). For the full list please see https://westliberty.edu/residence-life/files/2010/01/Packing-List-updated-5-21-2012.pdf.
- Can I bring an assistance or service animal?
- Assistance and service animals can be housed under the policy located in the student handbook at https://westliberty.edu/residence-life/studenthandbook.
- Residents are required to provide documentation from a treating physician/clinician for the assistance/service animal which can be found online at https://westliberty.edu/residence-life/files/2018/01/Housing-Accommodations-Request-Form.pdf.
- Additional documentation for vaccines and records for the pet may also be required from the veterinarian.
- How can I be guaranteed a single/private room?
- The only time that we can guarantee a private room is for ADA accommodations. Students can provide documentation from their treating physician/clinician to the Office of Housing & Student Life. The form is available online at https://westliberty.edu/residence-life/files/2018/01/Housing-Accommodations-Request-Form.pdf.
If you have a question not listed above…. email [email protected] for answers!