All residence halls are closed during official university breaks: winter break and spring break. Additionally, residence halls are closed for the summer (from the Friday of spring finals week through the first year move in day) except for specific summer housing options.
For safety reasons, students cannot remain on campus during those times when the residence halls are officially closed. If a student wishes to request to remain on campus during a break, to remain on campus after closing for spring semester or to return early for the fall semester, students can complete the form below. Reasons exceptions may be granted include academic reasons, on campus employment, transportation if the student lives a considerable distance from campus, or emergency circumstances.
Completing a request does not mean that a student is guaranteed approval of the request. Students should look at alternate plans should their request not be given approval. Extended stay requests are due one full week prior to the closing date.
Changes to the academic calendar and extended stay policy may occur due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This information will be shared with residential students as changes are made in this fluid situation.
Residential facilities will follow the following opening and closing schedule for academic year 2022-23
- Fall Semester Opening: New students move in on Friday, August 18, 2023 between 10am and 4pm. Returning students in apartments and houses move in between 10am and 4pm on Saturday, August 19, 2023. Returning students in Residence Halls move in on Sunday, August 20, 2023 between 10am and 4pm. Athletic teams, band, and other WLU sponsored organizations who move in early will receive information from their coach/director. The coach/director will make arrangements directly with the Housing Office for their organizations early arrival date and time.
- Fall Semester Closing: Residential facilities close on Friday, December 7, 2023 at 7pm for all non-graduates. Graduating seniors are approved through Saturday, December 8, 2023 at 7pm and can apply to stay through Sunday, December 9, 2023 at 4pm.
- Spring Semester Opening: Students can move into the residential facilities beginning on Sunday, January 7, 2024 at 12pm.
- Spring Break: Residential facilities close on Friday, March 1, 2024 at 7pm and will not reopen until Sunday, March 10, 2024 at 1pm. Students are required to vacate the residence halls during this time unless they are approved for extended stay.
- Spring Semester Closing: Residential facilities close on Friday, May 3, 2024 at 7pm for all non-graduates. Graduating seniors are approved through Saturday, May 4, 2024 at 7pm and can apply to stay through Sunday, May 5, 2024 at 4pm.
Extended Stay Request