International Application Process

How to Apply to West Liberty University:

WLU’s Admission Application is an online application and all interested students will be submitting the form through the WLU Admissions Portal. To start your application, you will be creating your unique account on the WLU Admissions Portal  to personalize your experience. Once you create an account, you can apply for admission, track your admission status, register for campus tours or admissions events.

If you already started a WLU application and have an account? Log back in to resume your application, submit an update or a required document, check the status of a requirement and your application.

Admission Requirements for International Applicants:

International Students applying for admission to West Liberty University must submit the followings:

1. International Admission Application. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections of the application.  Once you completed all section of the application, and uploaded the required documents available to you, do not forget to click the submit button at the end of application, in order for your application to be received by WLU.

2. Evidence of English Language Proficiency. Students from non-English speaking countries must provide evidence of English language proficiency. International students may be admitted if they have satisfactory academic records and evidence of English Language Proficiency.

Students from countries where English Language is not the official language and medium of instruction can prove English proficiency by one of the followings:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): score of 61 (internet based), 173 (computer based) or 500 (paper based). West Liberty code is TOEFL 5901. Arrangements for the TOEFL test can be made by visiting the TOEFL website:
  • International English Language Testing (IELTS): band score of 5.5
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): score of 44
  • EIKEN Test: grade 2A
  • SAT – I:  a score of 450 or higher on Critical Reading section
  • ACT: a minimum score of 18on the English section
  • Freshman English with a grade of C or better from an accredited U.S. college or university
  • U.S. High school diploma or U.S. Bachelor degree

3. Certified Copies of all Official Academic Records and English Translations: must be submitted in the original language of issue. Certified English language translation of these academic records are required as well. Any translation of a document must be literal, word-for-word translation and must indicate actual grades received, not an interpretation of the grades.  Please note that photocopies that have not been certified as true copies of the original or English translations alone are not acceptable.

The required documents include the complete official academic record (showing all course titles, dates taken and grades received) and Academic Diploma(s) or certificate(s) awarded. These documents must be in original language of issue.

Applicants who have studied in the United States are required to have the institution(s) in the United States send their official transcripts directly to West Liberty.

4. Credit Certification. All international student applicants, including first-time freshmen and degree seeking transfer students, must have all previously earned credit evaluated in order for West Liberty to award the transfer of credit or have their applications considered for WLU academic scholarshipsPlease see the list of Credential Evaluation Services. The applicant is responsible for the timely translation and evaluation of documents and for all costs and fees associated with these services.

For first time college applicants, the high school transcript outside the United States must be translated into English, and evaluated. For this evaluation a document-by-document report will be sufficient. If you have not graduated from high school yet, you should contact the evaluation service about getting a partial evaluation done. A final evaluation will be required during the first semester of study.

For transfer students, all transcripts from colleges or universities outside of the United States must be translated into English and evaluated by an accredited U.S. evaluation service before an admission decision can be made.  The evaluation should be a course-by-course report. If you are currently enrolled in a term or semester, you should contact the evaluation service about getting a partial evaluation done. A final evaluation will be required during the first semester of study.

Applicants who have attended any U.S. institutions must request that official transcripts be sent directly from those institutions; certified copies of U.S. transcripts are not acceptable.

Please note that documents received by West Liberty cannot be returned to the applicant. It is therefore recommended that students who receive only one original copy of their credentials submit official or attested copies with their application.

5. Proof of Financial Support. Students that need to obtain an F-1 visa need to submit evidence of financial support. To demonstrate proof of financial support you must submit one or a combination of the following documents.

  • A letter of financial support from a personal sponsor (parent, relative, friend) that has been certified by a bank or financial institution showing that you or your sponsor have finances to support your study and living costs for one academic year (9 months). Documentation of personal or family funds should be on bank letterhead stationery, or in the form of a legally binding affidavit.

(I.N.S. Form I-134, “Affidavit of Support,” can be used to document support being provided by a U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident. Please click here to see the estimated cost of attendance.)

  • A scholarship agency (government, corporation, etc.) stating the availability of funds and the intention to support your educational living expenses for the entire duration of study at West Liberty.

PLEASE NOTE: It is strongly recommended that the certification of financial support be submitted at the same time as other application material, this will help speed the issuance of documents necessary for student visa.

6. Measles and Rubella (MMR) Immunizations. All students at WLU must submit the MMR vaccines before they start their program of studies.

7. Admissions Test Scores (SAT or ACT). If it is not possible for you to take the test in your country, you will be required to take the test after being admitted to West Liberty and arrive in the United States. The West Liberty code for ACT is 4534 and the code for SAT is 5901.

8. Copy of your  ID Page in your Passport and if applicable, Copy of your U.S. Permanent Resident Card or Green Card

Issuing your Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (F-1 Visa) or the form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for exchange visitor status (J-Visa):

 Once admitted to West Liberty University, the International Student Office at WLU will be starting your I-20 process or DS-2019 process to allow you to apply for the F-1 Student Visa or J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.

How to receive your I-20 or DS-2019:

Once your I-20 has been issued, there are two options available for the mailing of your acceptance letter and I-20 which are as follows:

1) Send by Regular Mail – (no tracking available, and no guarantee delivery date). Overseas mail takes 6 weeks or more. Please email to confirm that you want your I-20 sent by regular overseas mail and the address where it should be shipped to.

2) Send by Express Mail – or you have the option to choose your delivery preference and order your shipping label for your I-20 packet, using the cost effective system, with guaranteed delivery and tracking, UEMS – eShipGlobal. You will be able to select from Fedex, DHL, UPS options. This system allows you to receive your documents in aprox. 3-5 days.

Requesting your immigration documents through express mail is at YOUR expense and your credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover cards only) will be charged upon requesting the service. To request express mailing of your documents, go to the following website (works best with Internet Explorer & Mozilla Firefox browsers):

You must use the website provided above – do not go through the DHL or FedEx website directly. If you choose this option, you do not have to notify us through email. All communication will go through the eshipglobal service, who will notify us that you are requesting your I-20 to be sent by express mail.

To use this service, you will be required to create your own user name and password in order to create an account. To request shipment, you will need your mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information.

You may request shipment either to your foreign address, or to a U.S. contact address. If your I-20 will be sent to a U.S. contact address, please include the name of the person who lives at that address. Please pay close attention to the information submitted, as errors in the credit card information or submitting incorrect or incomplete address information will result in a delay in the mailing of your I-20. If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the “Help” link in the site for step by step instructions or check your WLU email sent to you regarding I-20 shipping options.

If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please e-mail [email protected]

Deferring your admission to a later semester:

  • Please remember: Your admission is valid only for the semester you have been admitted. If you do not validate your admission by registering for classes for the semester offered in your admission letter, and you do not report to the University for classes in the semester you have been admitted, you will need to reapply for a subsequent semester to be reconsidered by your intended academic program.
  • With questions please contact the Director of International Enrollment Services ([email protected]) to make the change in your application.
  • Your application materials that accompany the International Admission Application will remain valid for a period of one year. After that time period, new documentation will have to be submitted.