Residency Classification for tuition and fee purposes is defined as follows: In state residency means the adoption of the state as a fixed, permanent home and requires continuous residency within the state for at least twelve months prior to the first registration, provided this residency is not for the purpose of college attendance. Further information pertaining to West Virginia residency requirements may be found below:
All residency application materials must be received no later than 2 weeks before bills are due. Applications received after that will be will be considered for the next term.
A request for a change in residency classification status can be a long, time-consuming, and costly process. The Office of Admissions wishes to respond promptly and in complete fairness to all students who make application for change of residency. Therefore, please take a moment to read the statements below before deciding to apply. Your consideration is appreciated.
Applying for a change in residency classification:
- Each student requesting residency classification should have a strong, well-documented case for having the residency status changed. Ample and specific guidelines are available for your reading to assure that you have a good cause to initiate such a request for residency classification: Higher Education Policy Commission Series 25 Policy Regarding Residency Classification Of Students for Admission and Fee Purpose
- Completion of the two-page Application for Classification as a Resident Student at West Liberty University is mandatory prior to discussing residency reclassification with office personnel. To be reclassified for a particular semester, the application must be submitted two (2) weeks prior to the deadline for the payment of tuition and fees.
- All copies of supporting evidence (i.e., driver’s license, tax forms, etc.) must be attached to the application described in Number 2 above. Neglecting to submit supporting documents will cause delay in a decision being made. Please submit your application and supporting documents to the Admissions Office at the address below. The evidence should demonstrate that the student’s primary purpose for living in West Virginia is other than attending an institution of higher education. Merely answering the “Additional Information” questions on the application affirmatively does not necessarily establish residency for tuition and fee purposes. It is the student’s responsibility to submit all supporting evidence to be considered with the student’s application. No additional evidence or documentation will be considered after the application has been submitted unless it is requested by the Office of Admission.
- Your signed submission of the application authorizes Admissions Office personnel to review your academic records and to make inquiry, where applicable, to substantiate your supporting evidence.
- You may be contacted for a personal interview regarding your application. Please indicate your telephone number on the application.
- Your application will be reviewed and a decision made. If your resident status request is granted, you will be notified in writing. If a denial is issued, you will be sent a written explanation and informed of appropriate appeal procedures.
Provide copies of the following documents to meet West Virginia residency requirements:
- Proof of twelve months of continued presence in West Virginia prior to enrolling in any West Virginia institution of higher education.
- Proof of payment of WV Income taxes
- Signed statement of full-time employment on company letterhead
- A brief statement explaining your claim to resident status as indicated on the back of the application. A timeline with all relevant dates is recommended
- A lease, rental agreement, or proof of purchase of your permanently occupied home in WV
- WV motor vehicle registration
- WV driver’s license
If you are applying for resident status on the basis of dependency upon a parent, legal guardian, or spouse, you must provide information on the application and submit supporting documentation relative to the parent, legal guardian, or spouse as well as any documentation that applies to you.
West Liberty University
208 University Drive
College Union Box 101
West Liberty, WV 26074