The Federal work study program is funded by the US Department of Education. This is a work program that enables undergraduate and graduate students to work part-time while enrolled in school. Federal work study funds are not applied towards institutional charges. Compensation is received in the form of a paycheck every two weeks.
Federal work study is a limited fund that is awarded based on the FAFSA completion date and the student answering yes to the “interested in work study” question on the FAFSA. It is awarded on a first come first serve basis, so it is important to complete your FAFSA early. In order to be eligible, the student must have financial need as determined by the FAFSA.
- If awarded Federal work study, log into your WINS account to accept.
- Go to Handshake to locate a position.
- Once you log into your Handshake account, you can view all WLU on campus student job availability.
- Click “Jobs” in the top left hand corner then select “On-campus” as your filter. You will then be able to see all WLU student positions on the left hand side.
- Click on the job that interests you and then click the red “Apply” button in the center of the screen!
- For more details on these steps, please see our “Guide to Student Employment”.
- Show up on time.
- Report off to your supervisor if scheduled work time must be missed.
- Keep information confidential. You may be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement before starting work.
- Dress Appropriately for the position. It is advised to not display other college logos during work hours.
- Limit distractions – visitors and cell phone usage should be limited.
- If you are not awarded Federal work study but are interested in being placed on the wait-list for available funding, please email email@example.com. If you are able to be awarded, you will receive an email explaining your next steps.
- Personal Service Employment is a student employment program funded by WLU. These positions are not funded through financial aid and are not based on the results from the FAFSA. Please go to Handshake to apply for any available positions.
Student Employment Coordinator
Financial Aid Office
Shaw Hall 121
Book an Appointment with the Student Employment Coordinator!