If during your stay in the U.S.A. as an F-1 student you have engaged in on-campus or off-campus employment, you have paid taxes. Therefore at the beginning of the following calendar year, your employer will send you a W-2 form that shows how much you have paid in taxes and how much you have earned as income. By April 15th of each year you will have to file Federal and State Income Taxes. Check the exact date for each year on the Internal Revenue Service.

You may be able to get some or all of the taxes you’ve paid refunded! Isn’t that great news?

If you go to Internal Revenue Service (https://irs.gov/), you can download Federal Tax Forms and West Virginia Tax forms at https://state.wv.us/taxrev/, but it will be easier for you to go to International Student Taxes (https://istaxes.com/and prepare) your tax return online.

Nonresidents are required to fill out a Federal income tax return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ) and/or a Form 8843 every year except under certain circumstances.

Even if you are not required to file an income tax return, it may be in your best interest to do so to ensure that you receive any refund that may be due to you.

Please review the sections titled Can I Use Form 1040NR-EZ and  Who Must File in the instructions to form 1040NR-EZ to determine whether you are required to file and which form is best for you. These forms and their respective instructions can be found on the IRS website, www.irs.gov

The University does not provide tax preparation services, but there are different avenues for help that may be available to you by contacting the International Student Office or research an international tax specialist in the area.

Please remember that all of the information provided here is general. Everyone can have a different situation even if you are from the same country. You should always contact an international tax specialist with any tax questions.


IRS – Foreign Students and Scholars:  https://irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Students-and-Scholars