This area is designed for students who already have an approved visual art teacher certification. The goal of the program is to improve the student’s knowledge and skills of visual art education teaching and learning practice. This program is the only fully online Graduate Art Education Program in the state of West Virginia.
Required courses in Education Common Core (12 hours):
- EDUC 502 Professional Writing (online every semester)
- EDUC 507 Research Methods (online every semester)
- EDUC 512 Assessment and Data Literacy (online every semester)
- EDUC 581 Capstone (16-week course during Fall or Spring only, online)
Required courses for this area of emphasis (18 hours):
- ART 510 Art Education History (Fall I, online)
- ART 511 Current Issues in Art Education (Spring I, online)
- ART 512 Arts Leadership, Advocacy & Policy (Fall I, online)
- ART 513 Visual Culture, Criticism & the Art Museum (Spring I, online)
- ART 543 Non-Western Art History (Summer) or ART 544 Art in Context (Summer, online)
- Graduate Elective – Any 500 level course with advisor approval
Total academic hours required for degree: 30
- Official transcripts of any bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, with a 2.5 GPA.
- Start the Program in January, March, May, June, August, or October