Direct Stafford Loan Program
A federal unsubsidized loan program is available to all students in good loan standing. Maximum loan amount is first determined by financial aid budget per academic year but will not exceed $20,500 (not all students will qualify for the maximum budget). Repayment of the interest and principal begins six months after graduation or enrollment ceases. The U.S. Department of Education provides a loan repayment calculator (estimate of repayment only). Current or former students may view their financial aid history by accessing NSLDS. Entrance counseling, Master Promissory Note and exit counseling are also required for any student receiving a Direct Stafford Loan.
How to apply for a federal unsubsidized loan:
- Complete your FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov
- Compete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov
- Complete the Independent Student Verification Form and send to WLU
Note- Students must be registered for classes prior to financial aid being added to a students account. Students can register for classes on their WINS account.
Once your aid has been packaged you will need to log into your WINS account to review and accept your financial aid.
- In WINS, click on the gray Financial Aid Tab at the top of the page
- Click on the blue Award link in the middle of the screen
- Click on the blue Award for Aid Year link in the middle of the screen
- Choose the appropriate award year form the drop down box
- Click on the gray Terms and Conditions Tab, complete if not already done.
- Click on the gray Accept Award Offer Tab
- Choose “Accept” or “Decline” from the drop down boxes for all funds that are in offered status.
For more information on payment plans, billing, or to make an online payment please visit the business office.
How to Apply for the GI Bill at WLU To apply, a student must be accepted and registered at West Liberty University. A veteran student applying for the first time needs to contact the Veterans Certifying Official for detailed information on the application process. If you have received the GI Bill prior to acceptance and registering at WLU, you will need to contact the Veterans Certifying Official for processing a request for Change of Place of Training. Prior to the certification of the GI Bill the student must complete the CERTIFICATION REQUEST FORM and be registered for terms requested. Questions regarding the GI Bill should be directed to the Veterans Certifying Official Registrar’s Office West Liberty University 866-West Lib or For more information you can also visit our Veterans page.