The Gary E. West College of Business (WCOB) at West Liberty University is excited to announce the addition of a Master of Business Administration or MBA program with concentrations in management or entrepreneurship. The full program is being offered 100% online starting in August 2016.
WLU’s MBA program is 30-credit hours or 10 courses. Each course is offered online in an accelerated format of eight weeks. Seven 3-credit hour courses are common for both the management or entrepreneurship concentrations. The three additional courses are specific to the student’s selected area of emphasis.
The program is designed with a prescribed course sequence. During the first term after admission all students will enroll in GBUS 525 – Social Responsibility & Business Ethics and a no charge, no credit orientation course. Depending on the student’s preference or needs, the program may be completed in as little as 12 months by taking two courses per eight-week term or at a slower pace in two years by taking only one course per eight-week term.
Admission to the program requires the completion of an undergraduate degree, but does not require an undergraduate degree in business. A student must be formally admitted to the program before taking any courses in the MBA program. For admission to WLU’s MBA, the following requirements must be met.
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 2.5 overall undergraduate grade point average
- International students must provide evidence of English language proficiency. Proof of proficiency may be provided by one of the following:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Minimum acceptable scores 595 (paper test), 195 (computer based test),or 70 (internet test) for graduate study or
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) – The minimum acceptable score is 82% for graduate study or
- A minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (ELTS) for graduate study.
Once admitted to the program students will be required to take Inbound Placement Exam* that is aligned with major foundational areas of the MBA program. Students with identified deficiencies are required to successfully complete an online leveling module* for each identified area of deficiency. All of the level modules must be complete prior to starting coursework. (*additional information will be provided to students as part of the program application form)
Applicants with an undergraduate degree and an overall GPA below the minimum 2.5 will be considered for provisional admission into the MBA program with the permission of the MBA Program Director. These students must meet all other requirements prior to starting coursework. A student admitted under provisional status must complete his or her first 12 credit hours or four courses in the program with a grade of “B” or higher to continue in the program.
All MBA students must maintain a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 and adhere to the West Liberty University Code of Conduct as well as policies of the WCOB.
The MBA curriculum includes:
Core Classes (21 credit hours)
- Social Responsibility & Business Ethics (initial course)
- Information Technology Management
- Global Economics
- Managerial Accounting Decision Analysis
- Financial Management & Theory
- Integrative Marketing Management
- Strategic Human Resource Management
Concentrations (Management or Entrepreneurship)
Management (9 credit hours)
- Value Chain Management
- Public & Non-Profit Management
- Strategic Management – Capstone
Entrepreneurship (9 credit hours)
- Legal Issues in Entrepreneurship
- Promotional Strategies for Profit and Social Entrepreneurship
- Financing and Developing the New Venture – Capstone
- The program will launch in August 2016.
- Estimated Tuition for the MBA program is $450 per credit hour, which is subject to approval by the Board of Governors of West Liberty University.
- For additional information or to be put on the contact list for the program, please email Dr. Gregory Chase, Program Director, at [email protected]