In addition to internships available through a student’s major department (many of which may be local internships), West Liberty University offers internships through The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars (TWC). TWC is the largest internship placement organization in Washington, D.C. with 35 years experience and 46,000 alumni. This partnership has enabled numerous WLU students from all majors to live in our nation’s Capital and work in some of the most prestigious organizations and congressional offices in the country. This hands-on work experience cannot be duplicated on campus. It has given our students an unparalleled internship experience that is respected by employers nationwide, and has enhanced students’ academic, civic, and professional development. This internship experience will undoubtedly be the highlight of your overall educational experience and will give you the edge in the competition for future employment and admission to graduate and professional schools.
In addition to an internship, our students have the opportunity to attend 1-2 week seminars in Washington, D.C., and these seminars have included both the Republican and Democratic Presidential Conventions and Inauguration ceremonies.
The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars offers:
- An insider’s view of how the world really thinks, and how it really works.
- A fully integrated mix of professional experience, academic coursework and real-life challenges found nowhere else. Their connections to the world of Washington, D.C. are broad, deep and enduring. They know not only where placements are available, but which ones offer the best experiences.
- An intensive “professional semester” that will put you in touch with important people and important issues in one of the world’s most important places.
- A better understanding of how organizations really operate.
- The opportunity for you to get a better understanding of yourself. Who you really are. What you really want. What you’re good at, and what you’re not. You’ll get the chance to “test-drive” a possible career, and you’ll develop new strengths and uncover talents you never knew you had.
- And, WLU students will earn 9-12 hours of academic credit for this experience.
When you leave this internship experience, you will be equipped with the confidence, skills and sense of purpose to thrive in your academic life, and be better prepared for a highly competitive marketplace. And, ultimately, you will be able to make a real difference in your community and society at large. View this video and hear testimony from students interning in this program, then make the decision to participate! TWC Video
It’s a great way to launch a career!