- Prepare for careers in AZA-accredited institutions or in applied conservation.
- Learn the knowledge and skills necessary for critical thinking and problem-solving in zoological and conservation facilities.
- Engage with animals in human care, while learning modern husbandry techniques.
- WLU has more than 225 individual animals from over 65 different species that provide an opportunity to learn skills with increasingly more challenging species.
- Complete internships at AZA facilities in your Junior or Senior year for a greater focus on animal husbandry or work with approved conservation scientists to focus on applied conservation.
WEST LIBERTY UNIVERSITY’S ZOO SCIENCE MAJOR offers students opportunities to learn from zoo specialists and conservation biologists, receiving hands-on training at partnering Association of Zoos and Aquariums accredited institutions, on-site animal facilities at West Liberty University, as well as in the field.
Partnering AZA-accredited institutions include Oglebay’s Good Zoo, located 4 miles from WLU, and The Wilds, the largest conservation center in North America, located approximately 80 miles from WLU in Cumberland, Ohio.
Classes will be conducted at WLU, as well as at local AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums. Students will learn from zoo professionals and will be exposed to a variety of animal care facilities including small and large zoos and aquariums, conservation centers, nature centers, wildlife rehabilitation centers, and fish hatcheries.
Through the completion of WLU’s unique ZOO SCIENCE CURRICULUM, which incorporates at least five months of full-time hands-on experience with animal husbandry at AZA-accredited facilities in team learning environments and one-on-one instruction and mentoring by zoo and conservation professionals, students will have ascertained skill sets that prepare them for employment in zoo and conservation facilities, wildlife rehabilitation and restoration, federal and state conservation agencies and graduate schools in ecological and conservation science.
With the only Master’s Degree program in the nation for Zoo Science, you can:
- Keep your job while you prepare for your future
- Earn your MA or MS
- Complete your thesis research at your current institution (MS only)
- Receive assistance for attending WLU in person
- Take your classes remotely
Learn more about earning your MA/MS in Zoo Sci.