- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 in math and science courses.
- All students will be admitted as Pre-ZooSci students unless they qualify for accelerated placement with a score of 22 or higher on the Math ACT or equivalent 540 on Math SAT.
For questions regarding the application Zoo Science Undergraduate Program application process, please contact the Office of Admissions at 304-336-8076.
- General Electives:
- Any 300-400 level general electives to total 120 hours (approximately 13-18 credit hours; 120 hours required for graduation).
- Courses are not offered every semester/academic year; please consult with your Biology advisor.
- Zoo Science Course Fees: This fee is used to offset costs associated with the care and management of the West Liberty University animal collection, West Liberty University Zoo Science personnel costs, research, permit costs, facility upgrades, and course supplies.
The following courses require a Zoo Science fee of $1,778.00:
- BIO 180 – Principles of Zoo / Aquarium Science
- BIO 280 – Zoo Education
- BIO 380 – Zoo Ornithology Lecture & Lab
- BIO 382 – Zoo Herpetology Lecture & Lab
- BIO 384 – Zoo Mammalogy Lecture & Lab
- BIO 386 – Zoo Applied Conservation
- BIO 450 – Zoo Animal Behavior Management Lecture & Lab
- BIO 452 – Zoo Animal Medicine Lecture & Lab
- BIO 454 – Zoo Internship
- BIO 471 – Conservation Practicum
Freshman & Sophomore Years of Study
- Volunteer Hours: Students must volunteer with the Zoo Science animal collection and applied conservation labs for a minimum of 200 hours per year during the freshman and sophomore years of study as a pre-requisite for experience.
- Summer Internship: A ten-week summer internship between the sophomore and junior year of study at an AZA-accredited zoo is required.
Junior & Senior Years of Study
- Animal Husbandry Focus: Students focusing on animal husbandry must complete two semesters (springs and/or falls) interning at an AZA-accredited facility; suggested semester schedules: 9-12 credit hours of coursework plus 3 credit hours of internship credit for the Zoo experience.
- Applied Conservation Track: Students in the Applied Conservation track must complete two conservation practicums with either applied conservation faculty at WLU or with approved conservation specialists in the field.
Download the Curriculum.