OUR BRANDSharing Our Story and Brand Consistently
CARING . QUALITY . AFFORDABLE
TOTAL COLLEGE EXPERIENCE
BRAND is so much more than a product. It is more than an image or logo. For West Liberty University, brand is the story, the soul of the University and its constituents.
What is Our Story?
Since its founding in 1837, West Liberty University has been a bedrock of higher education in West Virginia.
Graduates have called West Liberty University their “home away from home” that provided them an affordable education with a sense of family and belonging that has carried them throughout their lives and careers.
It is this background that forms the basis of OUR STORY, OUR BRAND: Caring, Quality, Affordable, Total College Experience.
As West Liberty University moves forward in delivering a quality education for West Virginia and beyond, we all must share our story and brand consistently.
SHARING OUR STORY WITH YOU…
Academy Hall 1870
University Night 2009
Geology Class Field Trip 1905
Men’s Basketball at NCAA Div II Final Four March 2014
1960 Kennedy Campaign
West Liberty University is a forward-looking, four-year public university steeped in a rich heritage as West Virginia’s oldest institution of higher education. Established as West Liberty Academy in 1837 (26 years before the state was admitted to the Union), it was created to respond to the need for higher educational opportunities west of the Appalachian ridge. The institution is named for the town in which it is located. West Liberty was so named in the late 18th Century as the westernmost point of the new liberty provided through the Declaration of Independence.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To provide our students the opportunity for a high quality undergraduate, graduate, and professional education through appropriate formats and venues.
OUR VISION STATEMENT
West Liberty University will be the premiere 4-year institution of higher learning in the Upper Ohio Valley by:
- providing its students with a high-quality education wherever and however courses are delivered that will prepare them for employment in current and future job markets or for continuing their education;
- achieving excellence in all facets of university life, including academics, student experiences, athletics, and the visual and performing arts;
- providing a comprehensive and significant liberal arts foundation wherever and however courses are delivered that will prepare its students to communicate effectively, think critically, and assume roles as productive citizens of the global community;
- pursuing financial stability as an institution while also remaining affordable for its students;
- emphasizing high-quality professional relationships between students and faculty, both in and out of the classroom, through excellent instruction in any format or location and advising;
- standing as a vigorous and vibrant source for the creation of knowledge through innovative and creative research and scholarly activity;
- providing technological capabilities and infrastructure to reflect contemporary educational needs and standards;
- facilitating vibrant relationships with the surrounding community through social, civic, and economic engagement activities, and building strong and enduring relationships with alumni and benefactors; and
- supporting a safe campus environment that encourages diversity and inclusion for all members of the WLU community.
Opportunity, Caring, Professionalism and Integrity, Excellence, Civic Engagement
West Liberty University’s basic accreditation is by the Higher Learning Commission.
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604