West Liberty University’s Department of Social Work is observing National Social Work month with a display of posters and presentation by its students from 10 a.m. – noon, Monday, March 23, the ballroom of the College Union.
Additionally, guest speaker Michelle Lucarelli, who is associate director at the House of the Carpenter, will address the group in an hour-long program beginning at 1 p.m. Her talk is entitled, “Poverty: Meeting the Needs for Food and Security.
The House of the Carpenter is located on Wheeling Island and serves the public in need and is affiliated with the West Virginia Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Lucarelli has a master’s in social work and her program takes place in the Alumni Room of the College Union. It is open to the public.
The social work senior interns have prepared posters describing the various social work activities that occur in the agencies in which they are placed for their 400-hour internship, as they earn their WLU degree.
Because the theme of National Social Work Month is “Social Work Paves the Way for Change,” the students will show how this is true in area agencies including:
- A Child’s Place CASA, Wellsburg
- Belmont County Student Services, Bellaire
- Florence Crittenton Services, Wheeling
- House of the Carpenter, Wheeling
- Ohio Valley Hospice, Wheeling
- Ohio Valley Medical Center, Wheeling
- John’s Home for Children, Wheeling
- West Virginia State Legislature, Charleston
- West Virginia Department of Health and Human Services
- Wheeling Hospital, Wheeling
- West Virginia Department of Rehabilitation Services, Weirton
- YWCA, Wheeling
The West Liberty University students who are completing the internships in each of the agencies will be available to explain and answer questions about their visual displays during the poster session.
For additional information, please contact program director, Dr. Sylvia Senften at 304-336-8089 or [email protected]. To learn more about the Social Work program and the Bachelor of Science in Social Work degree, please click here.