West Liberty University & WV School of Osteopathic Medicine Joint Master of Arts in Biology with Medical School Emphasis
The Master of Arts in Biology, with a major in Biomedical Sciences (MAB), is designed for students to demonstrate they can be successful at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM). Students will take West Liberty University graduate-level courses in human biology and medicine to improve their overall academic credentials and prove they can handle the rigors of medical school.
- Anatomy, histology, neuroanatomy, biochemistry, microbiology, physiology, pathology, cell biology, and/or genetics.
Students who successfully complete the MAB with the specified GPA and MCAT score will be guaranteed admission to the upcoming Osteopathic Medical School class at WVSOM.
Students must have:
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher with a science GPA of 2.8 or higher.
- Taken the MCAT and scored above a 485 or taken the GRE and scored above a 300 on the verbal and quantitative reasoning section.
- Students must complete at least 30 hours of coursework in the Biomedical Sciences major.
- Students must complete the MAB in one-year from the date of matriculation.
- Successful completion of the MAB requires a GPA of 3.0 or higher and no more than six (6) credit hours of “C” grades may be applied to the total hours for graduation.
- Students who wish to be considered for admission who did not meet the Guaranteed Admission Requirements to WVSOM may apply through the regular admission process and their application will be reviewed after the first semester and may be invited to interview by the WVSOM admission office for matriculation to WVSOM after completion of the MAB. Students who graduate from the program who apply the following year will have their file reviewed by WVSOM for next year’s admission cycle.
- Students must have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.2 with a 3.0 Science GPA.
- At least one letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician and one from a pre-med advisor.
- Must have an acceptable interview with the WVSOM admission’s office prior to matriculation.
- Students must complete the program within one year from date of matriculation.
- Students must graduate from the MBA with a GPA of 3.4 or higher.
- Students must have an MCAT score of 495 or higher.
- Students can have no more than one “C” grade in their West Liberty University Master of Arts in Biology with Medical School Emphasis coursework.
- Applications are due prior to June 1
- Applicants reviewed
- WVSOM pre-matriculation interviews will be in June or early July
- Date of matriculation to West Liberty (August)
- 1st semester (15 credit hours) August to December
- 2nd semester (15 credit hours) January to May
- Retake MCAT (March/April)
- Graduation (2nd weekend of May)
- Deposit due within 2 weeks of graduation and acceptance to WVSOM
Fall Semester (14 hours)
BIO 502 3 credit hours Anatomy & Physiology I
BIO 503 1 credit hour Lab
BIO 570 3 credit hours Biological Chemistry
BIO 513 1 credit hour Professional course/MCAT prep
Elective 1 3 credit hours
Elective 2 3 credit hours
Total hours = 14 credit hours
Spring Semester (16 hours)
BIO 528 3 credit hours Anatomy & Physiology II
BIO 529 1 credit hour Lab
BIO 523 3 credit hours Pathophysiology (or Elective)
BIO 517 3 credit hours Advanced Immunology
Elective 3 3 credit hours
Elective 4 3 credit hours
Total hours = 16 credit hours
Optional Electives (Need at least 4 courses)
Advanced Genetics and Geonomics – 3 credit hours
Human Genetics – 3 credit hours
Neuroscience – 3 credit hours
Histology – 3 credit hours
Parasitology – 3 credit hours
Molecular Biology – 3 credit hours
Microbial Pathogenesis – 3 credit hours
Virology – 3 credit hours
Cell Biology – 3 credit hours