All applicants must provide a complete application file, which contains the following items to be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies:
For additional questions regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies
- A completed discipline-specific Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution of higher education with an overall GPA of at least 2.6 and undergraduate science minimum GPA of 2.8.
- Undergraduate degrees should be in Biology, Ecology, Chemistry, or a related field. Consideration will be given to students receiving a Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated area as long as 18 biology or ecology course credits were completed with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – A combined score (Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning) of 300 on the GRE with a score of at least 3.5 on the analytical writing portion. The Biology Subject Test GRE is not required. GRE must be taken within two years prior to successful program application.
- Upon approval by the faculty, provisional admission may be granted to candidates who do not meet the minimum requirements.
In addition to the requirements listed above, international students must submit:
- Proof of English Proficiency: one of the following test results that have been completed within the past three years:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A minimum score of 80 for the Internet-based test (IBT), or 550 for the paper-based test (PBT)
- International English Language Testing (IELTS): 6
- EIKEN: Grade Pre-1F
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: 54
- Credit Certification: all coursework and credits from institutions outside of the United States, evaluated by a credential evaluation service provider [e.g., World Education Services (WES), Global Credential Evaluators (GCE), Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICE), American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), etc.]
- Proof of Financial Support: documentation of adequate financial support for one academic year (nine months) [e.g., official bank statement, sponsorship award letters, scholarship awards, Affidavit of Support (DHS Form I-134), etc.]
- Copy of passport ID page
- Immunization records
For additional questions regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies at 304-336-8545.