|Procedure Number: 204||Effective Date: 06/13/95|
|Title: Department Chair/Job Description||Revised: 08/03/98; 07/01/10|
|Approval Date: 04/19/06||President’s Signature: on file|
A Department Chair at West Liberty University is appointed to a ten-month contract, with released instructional time and an administrative stipend, on an annual basis by the President of the University with the assistance and recommendations of the College/School Dean and Provost. Faculty evaluations of an incumbent Chair are also factored into the appointment process.
The Chairs serve at the will and pleasure of the President and report directly to their Dean. Department Chairs must undergo annual evaluation by the Department Faculty and Dean, and are reviewed by the Provost. Should a Chair position be vacated for any reason before completion of the appointed annual term, the President, in conjunction with the Dean and Provost, may appoint an Interim Department Chair. There is no limit to the number of sequential appointments a person may hold as a Department Chair.
A candidate for the position of Department Chair must hold full-time faculty status and at least the rank of assistant professor at the time of appointment. He/she need not be tenured or tenure-track in order to hold this appointment. A Department Chair is expected to hold graduate degree(s) in, or closely related to, the program area(s) of the Department to be chaired. A minimum of five (5) years of professionally-related experience is required of a candidate for Department Chair. Exceptions to any of the qualifications for Department Chair may be granted only by the written approval of the Dean, Provost, and the President.
A Department Chair holds the authority and responsibility for all administrative functions and supervision within the Department. These responsibilities/authorities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Serve as a liaison among students of the Department, the faculty, and other administrators.
2. Assess and maintain physical facilities of the Department, including equipment, supplies, and space. Report, to the appropriate university official, maintenance or service required when necessary.
3. Develop, with Department faculty input, an annual budget request to be communicated to the College/School Dean.
4. Coordinate Departmental budgeted expenditures.
5. Consult with Department faculty when writing position descriptions.
6. Coordinate the operation of Department search committees.
7. Generate and communicate to the College/School Dean all Departmental recommendations for hiring, retention, promotion, tenure, evaluation, sabbatical leave, or discipline of Department faculty.
8. Establish Department teaching assignments and communicate Department course schedule(s) to the College/School Dean.
9. Coordinate and communicate to the appropriate University officer(s) any accreditation,
program review, or assessment(s) required of the Department.
10. Participate in due process required for faculty, students, or staff as described in current policies or procedures.
11. Facilitate recruitment of faculty and students for the programs within the Department.
12. Maintain accurate student and Department records.
13. Coordinate Department curriculum review, revision, and/or development.
14. Develop current and accurate university catalog description(s) of Department program(s).
15. Conduct regular Department meetings and provide for the formal minutes of these meetings.
16. Coordinate and evaluate academic advising of students of the Department.
17. Review, approve, and file course syllabi of the Department.
18. Review and approve any special course requirements of the Department.
19. Conduct periodic review and update of permanent faculty personnel files.
20. Enforce the University’s policies and procedures as well as policies and procedures of the Board of Governors and the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission.
21. Perform duties as assigned by the College/School Dean, Provost, or President of the University.