The Dental Early Acceptance Program at WLU prepares students to apply for early acceptance into West Virginia University’s Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) program.
For eligibility into D.E.A.P:
- Students must take one Chemistry, one Biology and one Mathematics core course per semester during the freshman year.
- Students are required to complete the Physics core courses by the completion of the sophomore year. #
- Students are required to take Psychology 101 and another course in the Social and Behavioral Sciences. @
- Students must complete the entire Anatomy and Physiology (plus labs) series before application to WVU.
- Students must successfully complete a minimum of 30 semester hours and a maximum of 75 semester hours prior to applying to WVU D.E.A.P.
- Students must maintain a minimum 3.60 GPA in science and overall.
- Students adhering to the guidelines and restrictions of the D.E.A.P. major may apply to WVU D.E.A.P. as early as the completion (30 semester hours minimum) of the freshman year of college courses.
- Students must earn the Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, D.E.A.P. major, prior to matriculating at WVU School of Dentistry.
- Students must apply for admission to the WVU School of Dentistry in the summer prior to the senior year at WLU and submit the supplemental application as directed by WVU.
- Students are required to score at or above the average Academic and Perceptual Ability Test scores achieved by the previous WVU entering dental class on the Dental Admissions Test (DAT).
- A maximum of two students/WVU School of Dentistry entrance year will be accepted via the D.E.A.P. pathway. Other students in the D.E.A.P. major may apply through the traditional route.
- Students must have completed at least 10 hours of documented observation in one or more general dental practices prior to application for D.E.A.P. *
- Students accepted into D.E.A.P. will participate in pre-health professions seminars and community service activities.
- Students must maintain standards of honesty, integrity and citizenship.
- Students must fulfill at least 50 hours of community service prior to graduation from WLU.
- Courses may not be offered every semester and/or year; please consult with Biology advisor for course sequencing.
- Students successfully accepted to WVU’s School of Dentistry will begin the first year of professional study after completing all requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at West Liberty University
# Course conflict: Physics II cannot be taken in the final year- conflicts with BIO 480 Capstone. For complete eligibility in the D.E.A.P. process, Physics I with lab and Physics II with lab must be successfully completed prior to the completion of the sophomore year.
@ Students must take Psychology 101 and another course in the Social and Behavioral Sciences to qualify for the D.E.A.P. pathway of admission to the WVU School of Dentistry. These requirements can be fulfilled within the General Studies curriculum.
* Qualified internships must reflect a variety of dental practices and encompass at least 50 hours of documented observation.
120 semester hours are required to graduate from West Liberty with a B.S.; 40 of those hours must be 300-400 level courses.
|Biology Core Courses – 8 credits|
|Chemistry Core Courses – 19 credits|
|Mathematics Core Courses – 7 credits|
|Physics Core Courses – 8 credits|
|English Composition and Rhetoric Courses – 6 credits|
|Behavioral and Social Sciences Courses – 8 credits|
|Dental Track Courses – 40-42 credits|
* West Liberty University determines the additional courses necessary to fulfill undergraduate degree requirements
** Upon successful completion of this curriculum, students will receive a Bachelors of Science degree in Biology from West Liberty University. Entrance into this track does not guarantee acceptance into WVU School of Dentistry; students earning this degree will be prepared for other medical programs as well.