WLU to Host Woodwind Week
The West Liberty University Department of Music and Theater is proud to host Woodwind Week from February 19-23. This exciting events series will feature guest speakers, recitals and master classes, all focused on the woodwind family. Tuesday and Wednesday of the week will have events serving the WLU campus, while the rest of the week aims to bring the surrounding community to the university for educational and enjoyable music events.
The highlight of the week is the Concert Artist Series recital to be performed by international clarinet virtuoso Robert Spring. Dr. Spring is Professor of Clarinet at the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts School of Music at Arizona State University and is a Buffet Clarinet Artist. The recital is on Thursday, February 21 in College Hall.
Also performing is WLU’s own Dr. Christopher Barrick. Dr. Barrick’s faculty saxophone recital will also showcase other WLU music faculty, including bassoonist Todd Jelen, flutist Wendy Kumer, pianist Dr. Gerald Lee, and percussionist Brian Baldauff on marimba. The recital will be held in College Hall at 11:30 AM on Saturday, February 23.
See the schedule below for more information on these events, all of which are free and open to the public. Questions concerning Woodwind Week can be directed to Dr. Christopher Barrick, Woodwind Area Coordinator, at [email protected].
WOODWIND WEEK 2013
Wednesday, February 20
- 12:00 PM – “Woodwind Wednesday”. WLU woodwind students perform in the College Union Ballroom during the noon hour
Thursday, February 21
- 7:30 PM – Robert Spring, clarinet recital (Concert Series) in College Hall
- Robert Spring has been described as “one of this country’s most sensitive and talented clarinetists”, Arizona Republic, “dazzled his audience…flawless technique”, The Clarinet Magazine, and “a formidable soloist…played with great emotional life” Copenhagen, Denmark, Politiken. Spring attended the University of Michigan where he was awarded three degrees, including the Doctor of Musical Arts degree. He was recently awarded the “Citation of Merit Award” from the School of Music Alumni Society. Spring has performed as a recitalist or soloist with symphony orchestras and wind bands in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and South America, and has been heard in the United States on National Public Radio’s, “Performance Today.” He hosted the 1995 International Clarinet Association ClarinetFest at Arizona State University where he is presently Professor of Clarinet. Dr. Spring is also principal clarinet of the ProMusic Chamber Orchestra of Columbus, OH. He is a Buffet Artist.
Friday, February 22
- 2:30 PM – Robert Spring, clarinet master class in College Hall. Featuring performances by WLU and area high school clarinetists
- 4:00 PM – Reception in College Hall Lobby
- 5:00 PM – CANCELED – Amanda Morrison, clarinet recital in College Hall
Saturday, February 23
- 9:00 AM – Music Program Audition Day
- 11:30 AM – Christopher Barrick, faculty saxophone recital in College Hall, featuring WLU Music Faculty Artists:
- Todd Jelen, bassoon
- Wendy Kumer, flute
- Brian Baldauff, marimba
- Gerald Lee, piano
- 12:45 PM – Lunch Provided at the Marketplace
- 2:00 PM – WLU Women’s Basketball vs. Wheeling Jesuit (passes provided)