Annual performance reviews are a key component of employee development. The performance review is intended to be a fair and balanced assessment of an employee’s performance. The annual review is to provide all regular university staff and their supervisors an opportunity to:
- Discuss job performance
- Set goals for professional development
- Establish objectives for contributing to the department’s mission
- Discuss expectations and accomplishments
Timeline for Annual STAFF Performance Evaluations
The annual review period is April 2nd through May 31st.
- Week of April 2: Supervisors forward Pre-Review Forms to Employees for completion
- Weeks of April 9– April 22: Employees return Pre-Review Forms to Supervisors; Supervisors complete online Review Forms and obtain signed approval from next level manager
- Weeks of April 23 – May 7: HR sends blank spreadsheet to Cabinet for completion. Cabinet member returns completed scoring spreadsheet to HR.
- Weeks of May 8 – May 20: Cabinet will review scores
- Weeks of May 21 – May 31: Cabinet supplies approval to supervisors. Supervisor meets with employee to discuss. Supervisor submits original signed review form to Human Resources for filing
Performance Review Guides
These guides are intended to be used as a reference and procedural guide to the performance management and appraisal process.
- Employee Guide to Performance Management – general overview of the performance management process.
- Supervisor Guide to Performance Reviews – general overview of the performance review process.
- Supervisor or Project Manager Review– summary of performance management system, forms and tools.
Performance Review Forms
Employees and supervisors will be able to choose from the following documents in order to prepare a comprehensive, position appropriate, review for their employees:
- Pre-Review Form– should be used by employees and submitted to supervisor prior to review.
- Employee Performance Review Form – should be used by manager for non-supervisor position.
- Supervisor Performance Review Form – should be used by administrators for managers and supervisors.
This goal tracker should be used to identify and track ongoing and future goals.
- Goal Sheet – PDF– Should be used internally with ongoing discussions with the employee.
- Goal Sheet – Word Version
- SMART Goal
You must have the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed in order to use the forms in fillable format. Adobe Reader DC is freeware and is available for download from the Adobe website at https://get.adobe.com/reader. Please take note to uncheck the Optional offers. Any questions or assistance, please contact the WLU HelpDesk at [email protected] or 304-336-8886.