This Master’s Degree program provides a high quality, affordable and accessible graduate program for qualified students whose opportunities for seeking appropriate level employment, career advancement, and personal and professional enrichment will be enhanced by a Master’s in Professional Studies. The MPS structure and curricular design emphasize learning directly relevant to professional employment. The Masters in Professional Studies Degree includes Areas of Emphasis (AoE), such as Organizational Leadership (OL) and a Justice Leadership (JL) that focus on various for-profit and non-profit professional fields.
Graduates of the MPS – OL program, will be able to…
- Employ advanced oral and written communications skills based on critical reasoning, principles of rhetoric and refined written composition.
- Apply an ethical decision-making model to complex professional situations.
- Competently provide personnel motivation, conflict resolution and facilitation of team building.
- Engage in ethical applied research in order to organize and interpret data for the sake of evidence-based decision making, problem solving and planning.
- Apply background knowledge of the history of leadership in order to adapt effective leadership styles to various situations.
- Execute essential leadership operations with knowledgeable competence.
- Develop and lead high-impact, results-focused change initiatives.
- Apply various legal parameters which are relevant to for-profit and non-profit organizations.
Courses and Format for MPS-Organizational Leadership:
The Masters of Professional Studies – Organizational Leadership (MPS-OL) degree is 30 credit hours and can be completed within 14 months: 12 hours of MPS Core Courses, 12 hours OL Area of Emphasis courses, and 6 hours OL Area of Emphasis Elective courses. All of the Core courses and most of the Area of Emphasis courses will be accelerated Saturday classes at the Highlands Center. Other courses will be offered online, also in an accelerated format. Incoming students may transfer in up to 6 graduate credit hours if those course hours are from accredited institutions and are relevant to the specific area of emphasis.
Core Courses (required)
- MPS 500 – Rhetoric, Reasoning and Communication
- MPS 501 – Professionalism in Ethics in the Digital Age
- MPS 502 – Organizational Dynamics
- MPS 503 – Methods of Applied Research
Organizational Leadership Areas of Emphasis Courses (required)
- MPS 504 – History of Modern Leadership
- MPS 505 – Essentials of Leadership Operations
- MPS 506 – Legal Environments of Organizational Leadership
- MPS 507 – Applied Research Project (Must have completed MPS 503)
Electives (any 2 required)
- MPS 508 – Leading Organizational Change, Creativity and Diversity in a Global Economy
- MPS 509 – Organizational Risk Assessment and Decision-Making
- MPS 510 – Understanding Leadership through Biography
- MPS 511 – Current Issues in Leadership
- MPS 578 – Special Topics in Professional Studies
The Masters of Professional Studies can be completed in as little as 14 months if the student aims to complete the program in a short amount of time. Students with a large amount of responsibilities (work, family, etc) outside of coursework can take fewer classes to meet their individual academic needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an Accredited Institution
- 2.5 GPA
There is not a deadline for admission to the program. Courses start year-round for students looking to start right away.
MPS-OL is 30 credit hours to complete the degree, MPS-JL is 36 credit hours to complete the degree. Please visit the Business Office Webpage for current in-state and out-state cost per credit hour for graduate students.
Students seeking financial aid will need to complete a FAFSA and fill out the appropriate WLU forms. Students must be taking at least 2 courses (6 hours) per traditional semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) to qualify for financial aid.
MPS-OL/JL Career Opportunities
Organizational Leadership Master’s Degree
- Those with a Master’s Degree in Professional Studies of Organizational Leadership area of emphasis can find a career in Management and Supervision in profit, non-profit, private, and government organizations and agencies.
MPS Faculty provide real world professional experience in their fields which they integrate into their courses.
If you have any additional questions about the program please do not hesitate to contact us at the Highlands Center 304-336-8301 or use the contact form below.