Threshold: “the point or level at which something begins of changes”
The Staff of Threshold believes in the transformative power of art and that engaging with art and the creative process is, in itself, the act of crossing a threshold—into new ideas, new thoughts, and new spaces. Crossing a threshold also suggests a passage into the unknown or a return to the familiar, the beginning of a journey, or a homecoming.
Threshold’s name goes beyond symbolic importance. Our goal is for Threshold to give opportunities to young, developing student-artists in our community. As such, the journal serves to provide an outlet in order to influence both the artists themselves as well as those who take the time to appreciate their work within the pages of the journal.
Call for Submissions
Now open for Submission for the 2023 – 2024 issue. Deadline for submission is MIDNIGHT on January 16th, 2024! Submitters will be notified by late February or early March.
Submissions Guidelines for Written Work
- Please include a cover page with your name and email address. This information should not show up anywhere else on your document.
- Submissions should be in a text format like Word or Rich Text. Please do not submit a PDF or Google Doc link.
- Fiction and Creative Nonfiction submissions should be double-spaced, and all submissions should use an easily readable font like Perpetua, Times New Roman, or Calibri.
- Poetry should have single-spaced stanzas with double space between stanzas.
- Name your file and email subject line with your last name, followed by the genre of your submission (Frost–Poetry Submission).
Submission Guidelines for Artwork
- Artwork type: Both Digital and Traditional (hand-drawn work) will be accepted, but Traditional work must be photographed or scanned.
- File format for artwork: PDF
- Color mode: Color (CMYK) or Black-and-White (Grayscale)
- Image size: No smaller than 12″ in any one direction.
- Photoshop files must be saved at 300 dpi.
- File naming: File name must include the creator’s last name, first name, year, and title of the work. Example: “smith-jane-2022-moonscape.pdf”
- Art submissions will automatically be considered as potential cover art.
For All Submissions
- Email submissions to email@example.com.
- Send a separate email per genre if you choose to submit in multiple genres.
- Please include a cover letter with a short 50-word bio that includes your major, year in school, and hometown, as well as anything else you might want readers of the journal to know about you.
Length and Number of Submissions
- Fiction: up to 2 pieces 4000 words or fewer
- Creative Nonfiction: up to 2 pieces 4000 words or fewer
- Poetry: up to four poems (5 total pages)
- Artwork: up to four pieces