College of Liberal Arts Housing Waiver
In Order to qualify for a housing waiver, the following qualifications must be met:
- The student must have a major within the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences (criminal justice, social sciences)
- If applying on the basis of financial need, the student must have and maintain a 2.5 grade point average overall and a 3.0 GPA in his/her major.
- If applying on the basis of merit, the student must have and maintain a 3.0 grade point average overall, and a 3.5 GPA in his/her major.
- Each award is limited to 2 semesters, but students can reapply.
Application Process: A letter of application should be submitted to [email protected] with the subject line of CoLA Housing Waiver. The letter should include the following information:
- Student’s name
- Current address
- Phone number(s)
- Email address
- GPA (Overall and Major)
- Term(s) the waiver is being requested (ex. Fall 2017)
- Introduction of yourself
- Explanation of the reason for your request
- Description of academic interests
- Description of career goals
- The deadline to apply for Fall will be Aug 1, and the deadline to apply for Spring will be December 1.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- You will be notified as to the committee’s decision by August 15 for Fall, and December 15 for Spring.
David T. Javersak College of Liberal Arts Scholarship Fund – This scholarship fund is named in honor of Dr. David T. Javersak, Professor Emeritus and Dean Emeritus of West Liberty University. Dr. Javersak taught history for 39 years and served as Dean of the College of Liberal Arts from 1986 until his retirement in 2007.
Five $500.00 scholarships will be awarded each year to students majoring in English, Criminal Justice, Social Science (concentration in History or Geography & Planning), and Social Work. Scholarships will be awarded based upon academic performance and/or financial need. Students may reapply each year providing that they remain in a designated degree program and maintain the required GPA.
- Have a Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher OR an ACT score of 22 or higher
- Complete the WLU application information sheet (can be completed online).
- Application packets should be sent to [email protected] with the subject of David T. Javersak College of Liberal Arts Scholarship. The packet should include:
- Cover Letter
- Essay explaining why the applicant should be selected
- Letter of support from a guidance counselor, teacher, or employer
Application Deadline: April 1, 2017
Kenneth B. McMillen Social Science Scholarship – This scholarship was established in honor of Kenneth McMillen, an Associate Professor of Political Science at West Liberty from 1946-1980.
The Kenneth B. McMillen Scholarship will provide a Social Science major with a $1000 scholarship for his/her third year and potentially fourth year, disbursed at $500 per semester. Applicants must:
- Have completed three semesters of full-time academic work prior to applying
- Have overall and Social Science GPAs of at least 3.25
- Major in Social Sciences at West Liberty University
- Participate in college and community activities
- Have financial need
To maintain Eligibility, students must:
- Maintain full-time status at WLU
- Maintain a 3.0 overall GPA
Application Process: Please send a letter explaining why you should be selected to [email protected] with a subject line of Kenneth B. McMillen Social Science Scholarship Application
Application Deadline: April 1, 2017
Northwood Health Systems Tuition Payment Program
The community’s need for substance abuse and mental health treatment has increased. Northwood wants to respond to that community concern by generating more interest in careers in the human services field. To generate that additional interest, as explained below, Northwood will pay up to $15,000 toward tuition to assist qualified individuals to obtain a bachelor’s degree in psychology or social work at West Liberty University. This should be considered a one-time offer, as Northwood may not make it available again in the future. More information can be found here.