West Liberty University will welcome students to campus with two-weeks of activity designed to inform and entertain during Topperfest, beginning Aug. 22.
“Topperfest is our big welcome back to campus and it’s designed to help our students feel comfortable and be successful. New students move in Friday, Aug. 22 and we want them to enjoy living on campus. We are happy to provide them with convenient ways to go about the business of college and to have fun,” said Jim Compston, area coordinator for first year residential experience in the Department of Housing and Residence Life.
Housing and Residence Life staff plans and coordinates all the Topperfest activities that give new students the chance to interact with each other and jump-start friendships.
This year’s theme is “Back to the Future” with activities planned around the blockbuster 1985 film starring Michael J. Fox.
New Student Convocation is the formal beginning to the academic year and takes place at 4 p.m., Friday, Aug. 22, in the Academic, Sports and Recreation Center (ASRC). The Class of 2018 is honored and asked to sign the book of investiture, signifying their commitment to higher education and their particular WLU field of study.
Topperfest social events include:
- 8:30 p.m., Friday, Aug. 22, Black Light Dance, College Union
- 1:30 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 23, Battle of the Buildings competition, Hoge Quadrangle
- 6 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 23, 80s craft, spin sunglasses
- 7 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 24, Karaoke, College Union
- 9 p.m., Monday, Aug. 25, Hypnotist Bill Petteck, College Union
- 8 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 26, Drive-In Movie, Beta Hall parking lot
- 7 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 28, Blast from the Past carnival, College Union
- 7 p.m., Friday, Aug. 29, Movie with bonfire, s’mores and cornhole, Hoge Quadrangle
- Saturday, Aug. 30, Instagram contest and prizes
- 7 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 4, Paint and Sip, Alumni Room
- 7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 5, concert sponsored by Student Government and the Campus Activities Board
- 11 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 6, tailgate and barbecue followed by Hilltopper Football’s first home game vs. Shepherd University, with kickoff at 1 p.m.
For a more complete list of Topperfest activities, please click here.
First year students move in on Friday, Aug. 22 and returning students move back to campus on Sunday, Aug. 24. Classes begin Monday, Aug. 25 on the main campus and on Saturday, Aug. 23 at the Highlands Center campus.
The last day to enroll for the fall semester or to add a class is Sept. 4.
Led by President Robin C. Capehart, WLU is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. For more information, please visit westliberty.edu or call 1.866.WESTLIB.