As students are preparing to move to the University for the first time, or if they are returning to West Liberty, there are many tips to consider for a safe move to campus or off-campus housing.
- If you are hiring a moving company, research the company to ensure they are a reputable business.
- Keep an emergency kit on hand during the move. Keep this kit once you move into your residence hall or apartment.
- Lock vehicles that are unattended. Keep valuables out of plain sight and park in well-lit and safe areas.
- Learn the emergency evacuation plan and routes for your residence hall or apartment.
- It’s important to know and trust the students you will be living with through the year. Take time prior to move in to get to know roommates and exchange contact information. If you are living on campus and uncomfortable with your housing assignment or roommate, contact he Housing & Student Life Office at (304)336-8345 or [email protected]
- Share your emergency contact information with roommates and with residence life staff.
- If you have medical concerns, share those with the residence life staff so they are appropriately informed on proper ways to assist you in crisis.
- Immediately report lost keys to your landlord or residence life staff.
- Familiarize yourself with campus. Know where emergency phones are located and get to know Campus Police officers. Program the Campus Police phone number and your residence life staff number into your cell phone.