- Spring Graduation is on 05/04/2019
- PA Graduation Date is on 06/14/2019
- Graduation Informational Letter Spring 2019
- West Liberty University will hold its Spring 2019 Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 4th, at 11:00 a.m. in the Academic, Sports and Recreation Complex (ASRC). Doors will open for seating at 9:30 a.m. Tickets are not required. However, due to the large number of graduates, graduates are asked to limit guests to no more than five.
- Three hundred and seventy-one students are expected to complete their degree requirements during the spring semester.
- Graduates should report to their designated line-up locations in the ASRC by 10:15 a.m. on May 4th. Parking will be available for graduates and guests behind the ASRC.
- Mr. David McKinley, United States Congressman from WV, will be the Commencement speaker.
- Ms. Megan C. Lyle, Belmont, OH, will be the student speaker. She is graduating from the School of Professional Studies
The graduating student with the highest grade point average in each respective college carries the college banner. During the spring ceremony, the following students will be serve as banner carriers.
|College of Arts & Communication||Maria Keane, Isabella Pozell,|
|College of Sciences||Jack Clarke, Trevor Piccone|
|West College of Business||Ronald Bane|
|College of Education||Stephanie Leonard, Anna Malone,|
Alexandria Parker, Emma Romanek
|College of Liberal Arts||Devon Kalo, Courtney Stackpole|
|School of Professional Studies||Paul Graham|
- Chappell Studios will take a photograph of the graduates as they are congratulated by President Stephen Greiner on stage. A second photograph will be taken as the graduates exit the stage. Approximately a week after the ceremony, graduates interested in purchasing photographs can visit the Chappell Studio web site to view proofs at www.gradimages.com
- The Commencement Ceremony will be televised live on WLU Television Comcast Channel 14. A video of the ceremony will be provided to graduates with their diplomas.
- A reception for graduates, guests and families will be held in the Student Union immediately following the ceremony.
- Graduates will receive a Certificate of Participation during the Commencement Ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed to students in June after final grades have been reviewed.
TO: All Prospective Spring 2019 Graduates
FROM: Scott A. Cook, Registrar
DATE: March 13, 2019
We have received your application for graduation indicating that you plan to complete your degree requirements this semester. The purpose of this letter is to give you some preliminary information pertaining to Commencement and to remind you of the steps you need to complete between now and the end of the semester.
Commencement will be held Saturday, May 4, at 11:00 a.m., in the Academic, Sports and Recreation Complex (ASRC) on the West Liberty University campus. The Commencement ceremony for PA students will be Friday, June 14, at 6 p.m. In April, you will receive specific instructions concerning the ceremony, including when and where to meet. This information will be given out at the Grad Fair on April 9 at the Highlands from 4:30-6:00 p.m. or April 11 on campus from 3:30-5:00 p.m., or mailed to your permanent address if you do not attend the Grad Fair. The Grad Fair for PA students will be on Friday, April 12 at noon in Room 309, Campbell Hall.
Since Commencement is being held on the Saturday immediately following the week of final exams, your final grades will not be available. At the ceremony, a certificate of participation from the President will be presented to you, with the diploma being mailed to you in about six weeks after your final grades have been received and checked. PA Students will receive their diplomas at their June 14th Ceremony.
Only those students who are completing their graduation requirements this semester will be permitted to go through Commencement. If a student fails to complete a required course or fails to meet any other graduation requirement, the diploma and the final transcript will be held until the necessary requirement has been completed. If you receive a grade of “Incomplete” for a course, the incomplete must be made up by June 5, 2019, to remain a spring graduate. If you are removed, you will need to reapply for graduation for the term you plan to graduate.
Seating is first come, first seated. We cannot save or reserve seats. Tickets are not needed for guests, however, due to the large number of graduates, we ask you to limit attending guests to 5 for the May 4th ceremony.
- Participation in Commencement:
All students who complete their work in the spring semester are expected to participate in the Commencement exercises. Please click here to complete the Commencement Participation Form.
- Academic Requirements:
All files have been reviewed for graduation eligibility. If you received an email stating that your file is not complete for graduation, please contact Amy Balog at 336-8127 immediately to resolve the problem.
- Tests – Education Majors only:
All Education majors are required to take the Praxis II content test(s) and PLT test for WV certification. The required tests will depend upon your program. Specific information relative to required tests can be directed to the WV Department of Education at 800-982-2378 and registration materials and test packets are available online at www.ets.org.
All Education Majors who wish to be certified in West Virginia must complete an Application for Certification and submit it to the College of Education. You are not automatically certified.
- Graduation Fee:
Each student must pay the $125 graduation fee for undergraduates ($130 for two degrees) and $150 for Master degree students; the fees will be assessed by March 22 and payment is to be submitted in the Business Office. If you applied for graduation after December 14, 2018, there is an additional $110.00 late fee charge.
- Financial Obligations:
Each student must be free of any debts to the University (library fines, money owed to the Business Office, parking fines, etc.). Please make certain that you have cleared all debts.
If you received a Perkins Loan while a student at West Liberty, you are required to complete the Perkins Loan exit interview online at www.ecsi.net . A link to this is also available from the Business Office web page, under loans. If you have any questions, contact Kimberly Lemley at [email protected] or by calling her at 304-336-8350 in the Business Office.
If you received a Direct Loan while enrolled at West Liberty, you are required to complete the Direct Loan Exit. To complete the Exit on-line, visit the Student Loan website, www.studentloans.gov and click on Exit Counseling. If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid at 304-336-8016.
We will not be able to release your final transcript or diploma until the above requirements are met.
- Graduation Fair
A Graduation Fair will be held in the ASRC Boyle Room on Thursday, April 11 from 3:30 p.m. – 5 p.m. Representatives from the Learning and Student Development Center, Enrollment Center, Business Office, Housing, Alumni, Graduate Programs, and Bookstore will be in attendance.
A Graduation Fair will also be held on Tuesday, April 9, from 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. at the Highlands Center to accommodate students who only attend the Highlands Center for their coursework. PA students will have their Grad Fair on April 12 at noon in Room 309, Campbell Hall.
You will be able to take care of all graduation items during the fair.
- Graduation Announcements and Cap and Gowns:
You will be able to pick up your cap and gown at the graduation fairs. If you cannot attend the graduation fair, you will be able to pick one up in the Bookstore beginning April 15.
If you have any questions concerning caps and gowns or announcements, please contact the Bookstore at 304-336-8211.
- Facebook Group
We have started a Facebook group to help keep you and your families up to date on important information and upcoming events and deadlines. Please friend WestLiberty Graduation or join the West Liberty Spring 2019 Graduation group.
If you have additional questions pertaining to graduation, please contact Amy Balog at [email protected] or at 304-336-8127.
Application coming soon, thank you.