By Nathan Johnson, Staff Writer
The holidays can be a special time for people in terms of being around family, or taking time off of work, but they can also be a rough time for some people. During the holidays some people may be grieving at the loss of a loved one or have the feeling of being alone. Well here are some tips on how to cope with being alone for the holidays.
- Do things that make you happy. Go do your favorite hobby whether it is reading a book, listening to your favorite music or going on a walk or vacation. Hang out with your best friends; it gets your mind off of things and you should be happy again.
- Examine your feelings. Although it may hurt to be alone for the holidays use that time to think about everything that is going on in your life, and think about what you can do to try to improve situations in your life.
- Talk to someone. It may be tough to talk about personal issues to some people, but if it’s too much, don’t be afraid to talk to someone to help you get through the problems. Sometimes talking about it to a professional can make things better.
- Give to others. Sometimes other people may have harder issues to deal with during the holidays, so go out and avoid being alone by helping someone who is less fortunate than you. You will feel better by helping someone else in need and that person will respect you for helping them.
- Understand that you are not alone. Sometimes you may feel that you are the only one feeling alone around the holidays, but there are many other people who are alone as well so be true to yourself and understand that there might be someone else who is going through worse things than you.
So there are some tips on how to cope with loneliness, do your best to enjoy the holidays and for the Hilltopper students enjoy the rest of your break and we will see you soon.