The Office of Housing & Residence Life is committed to keeping our students safe throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. We also strive to keep our residential students updated with information as we have it, regarding changes and decisions on campus response. We will continue to provide updates on this website, as well as through emails to our residential students. The University continues to monitor updates and direction from the federal and state government regarding response and caution.
Additional information and Resources
WLU continues to focus on the safety of our students, and has begun planning for the fall 2020 semester. As a result, we are putting on hold the room selection process for fall until we can outline a process in which we can offer single rooms to all residential students in residence halls. We will email updates as we are able to finalize options and processes.
Students are encouraged to check their WLU Email for further updates sent for campus and specific emails for residential students. We will also update the Housing & Residence Life website any changes or new information.
Quarantine Instructions and Information
Students who will be required to quarantine include those who have been tested for COVID-19, those who test positive for COVID-19, and those who are determined to be contacts of a positive case of COVID-19. West Liberty University will work in conjunction with Ohio County Health Department to gather information on contacts and test cases. However, WLU may require that a student quarantine prior to notice by the Ohio County Health Department in accordance with campus safety guidelines and protocol.
Students who are required to quarantine and who live in campus owned or leased housing will be advised to return home (off-campus) to quarantine. If is physically unable to return home (for example: due to travel arrangements), they may be temporarily assigned to a campus isolation room, or other designated campus location, for the duration of their quarantine. The student in isolation/quarantine will not be able to leave the location of their isolation for any reason except to seek medical care. No guests will be permitted into the isolation area for any reason other than medical care.
Students who do not reside in campus owned or leased housing will be required to remain off campus through the duration of their quarantine period. The Office of Housing & Residence Life will work with students quarantined on campus to provide meal delivery during isolation.
If a student is in quarantine off campus, they will need to complete an online assessment (which will be sent to them by Student Health Services) for review prior to approval to return to campus. If a student is in a campus isolation room or quarantine location, they will also be required to complete this assessment prior to leaving the isolation or quarantine location.
Any student who violates any quarantine protocol, will be processed through the campus student conduct system. If a student is quarantined on campus, they will be required to immediately leave campus and placed on interim residential suspension pending the outcome of the student conduct process. Violations of any COVID-19 related policies can result in probation, full restrictions, suspension, or expulsion, among other educational sanctions.
Policy Changes Under COVID-19 for Housing & Residence Life
- The only guests permitted will be residents within the residential facilities of West Liberty University.
- Non-student and off-campus students will not be permitted in any portion of the residential facility.
- Request for exception to the guest policy may be considered in medical instances and for the purpose of moving in or out of the residential facility, but must be submitted and approved by the Executive Director of Housing & Student Life in advance.
- Only 1 guest will be permitted per room/apartment at any given time.
Contactless Move-In/Move-Out/Room Change Process
- Forms will be completed online and via email
- Room change request online to be completed by resident. Approval sent by Area Coordinator for Residential Enrollment via email to resident and copied to ACs and Hall Directors for the buildings involved in change.
- Residence Life Review Board and Cancellation form completed online by resident. Approval will be emailed with information on move out process.
- In the case of a room change, RA will confirm key return through new online form.For a move out or room change, the key envelopes will be available at RA office. Resident will leave their old key on the dresser or kitchen counter of their residence hall room or apartment, respectively, labeled with student’s name, building and room number.
- In the case of room changes or move in, a new key will be available on the dresser or kitchen counter of their new residence hall room or apartment, respectively, labeled with student’s name, building and room number.
Facility Utilization Changes/Common Areas
- Students will be allowed to utilize common areas under specific guidelines:
- Occupancy will be determined for each facility and students will need to adhere to those occupancy numbers, which will be a portion of the overall capacity for occupancy.
- Students must always social distance 6 or more feet and/or wear a mask in the lobby of the facility.
- Any violations of policy will lead to revocation of the ability of the student to utilize the common area space.
Extended Stay Policies
- Extended stay policies will be stricter in accordance with current practices. Students will be permitted to stay on campus during times of closure for the following reasons:
- Students with a 12-month lease in apartments
- Students with no other safe housing option (to be reviewed by Executive Director of Housing & Student Life on a case-by-case basis.
- Students actively enrolled in online classes without adequate Wi-Fi options at home.
- Students approved as essential employees for on campus employment during the break period.
- Students who are enrolled in a class that requires internship, practicum or student teaching hours during the break.
- Extended stay requests will be submitted through online form and notice of decision emailed to student’s university email address.