The Office of Housing & Residence Life is committed to keeping our students safe throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. We also strive to keep our residential students updated with information as we have it, regarding changes and decisions on campus response. We will continue to provide updates on this website, as well as through emails to our residential students. The University continues to monitor updates and direction from the federal and state government regarding response and caution.
Additional information and Resources
WLU continues to focus on the safety of our students, and has begun planning for the fall 2021 semester. Students are encouraged to check their WLU Email for further updates sent for campus and specific emails for residential students. We will also update the Housing & Residence Life website any changes or new information.
Quarantine Instructions and Information
Students who will be required to quarantine include those who have been tested for COVID-19, those who test positive for COVID-19, and those who are determined to be contacts of a positive case of COVID-19 that are not fully vaccinated. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their final vaccination dose. Students who have uploaded their vaccination records to show they are fully vaccinated will not be required to quarantine as a contact. West Liberty University will work in conjunction with Ohio County Health Department to gather information on contacts and test cases. However, WLU may require that a student quarantine prior to notice by the Ohio County Health Department in accordance with campus safety guidelines and protocol.
Students who are required to quarantine and who live in campus owned or leased housing will be advised to return home (off-campus) to quarantine. If is physically unable to return home (for example: due to travel arrangements), they may be temporarily assigned to a campus isolation room, or other designated campus location, for the duration of their quarantine. The student in isolation/quarantine will not be able to leave the location of their isolation for any reason except to seek medical care. No guests will be permitted into the isolation area for any reason other than medical care.
Students who do not reside in campus owned or leased housing will be required to remain off campus through the duration of their quarantine period. The Office of Housing & Residence Life will work with students quarantined on campus to provide meal delivery during isolation.
If a student is in quarantine on or off campus, they will need to complete an online assessment (which will be sent to them by Student Health Services) for review prior to approval to return to campus. If a student is in a campus isolation room or quarantine location, they will also be required to complete this assessment prior to leaving the isolation or quarantine location.
Any student who violates any quarantine protocol, will be processed through the campus student conduct system. If a student is quarantined on campus, they will be required to immediately leave campus and placed on interim residential suspension pending the outcome of the student conduct process. Violations of any COVID-19 related policies can result in probation, full restrictions, suspension, or expulsion, among other educational sanctions.
Policy Changes Under COVID-19 for Housing & Residence Life
- Students will be permitted no more than two guests per room at any time.
- Guests who are not fully vaccinated will be required to wear masks in all buildings, or when outside and within 6 feet of others.
Extended Stay Policies
- Extended stay policies will be stricter in accordance with current practices. Students will be permitted to stay on campus during times of closure for the following reasons:
- Students with a 12-month lease in apartments
- Students with no other safe housing option (to be reviewed by Executive Director of Housing & Student Life on a case-by-case basis.
- Students actively enrolled in online classes without adequate Wi-Fi options at home.
- Students approved as essential employees for on campus employment during the break period.
- Students who are enrolled in a class that requires internship, practicum or student teaching hours during the break.
- Extended stay requests will be submitted through online form and notice of decision emailed to student’s university email address.