WEST LIBERTY, W.Va., Jan. 9, 2023 — West Liberty University’s 2023 Presidential Search continues its progress this week with Listening Sessions, planned by the Presidential Search Committee and the AGB Search firm, headquartered in Washington, D.C.
AGB was hired by the Board of Governors (BOG) in November to conduct the professional search for WLU’s 38th president. AGB Consultants Jerome Gilbert and Richard Wueste are now leading the presidential search efforts and will be attending all listening sessions.
The Listening Sessions engage key constituents and stakeholders to inform and finalize the Leadership Profile which will outline the position qualifications and ensure the collective expectations of stakeholders are represented, as well allow AGB to recruit a strong group of candidates.
AGB hopes to meet with trustees, campus administrators, faculty and staff members, students, alumni, and community members, as appropriate. This inclusive process reveals the attractions and challenges of the position, as well as the characteristics and experience the successful candidate must possess.
Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to attend at least one listening session throughout the two days AGB is on campus. The meeting dates, times and locations are below. Although highly encouraged, employees are not required to attend.
Tuesday, January 10, 2023
- 8 a.m. – Interim President Breakfast, Wilson Lodge (Oglebay)
- 10 a.m. – Athletics, Boyle Conference Center (ASRC)
- 11 a.m. – Open Staff Forum, Boyle Conference Center
- 12:30 p.m. – Lunch with Deans – BOG Conference Room, Shaw Hall
- 2pm – Open Faculty Forum, Boyle Conference Center
- 3 p.m. – Faculty Senate Executive Council – Boyle Conference Center
- 5 p.m. – Rich Lucas, Chair BOG, Wilson Lodge (Oglebay)
- 6 p.m. – BOG Dinner, Wilson Lodge
- 8 p.m. – Resident Assistants, Greek Life, Club and Organization Presidents, Student Leadership Center (College Union)
- 9 p.m. – Student Government Association, Student Leadership Center (College Union)
Wednesday, January 11, 2023
- 8 a.m. – Chairs Council light breakfast, Boyle Conference Center
- 9 a.m. – Cabinet, BOG Conference Room
- 10 a.m. – Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Leadership Team, BOG Conference Room
- 11 a.m. – Staff Advisory Council, BOG Conference Room
- 12 p.m. – Lunch, available Local Search Committee Members, BOG Conference Room
- 2 p.m. – House and Campus Tour
- 3 p.m. – Maintenance and Housekeeping/Physical Plant
- 4 p.m. – Open Staff and Faculty Forum, Boyle Center
- 5 p.m. – Open Forum, Boyle/Zoom (Open to campus, community, alumni, etc.)
- 6:30 p.m. – Foundation Board Dinner – Wilson Lodge or Zoom
The formal search itself will launch the week of February 6 and the application deadline will be March 17, 2023.
West Liberty University is seeking its 38th President after the Board of Governors declined to renew former President W. Franklin Evans contract which expired on Dec. 31, 2022. (See Board of Governors Reject Contract Extension for President).
The next regular meeting of the full Board of Governors is Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2023. Please visit westliberty.edu/bog for complete information on BOG agendas, actions, policies etc.
The members of the Presidential Search Committee include:
Chairman Tom Cervone, alumnus and WLU Board of Governor, Knoxville, Tenn.; Richard “Rich” Lucas, alumnus and BOG chairman, Wheeling; Jack Adams, alumnus and BOG vice chairman, McMurray, Pa.; Michael J. Baker, alumnus and BOG member, Wheeling; Dr. Keith Bell, professor of Criminal Justice; Arlene Brantley, BOG member, Atlanta, Ga.; Richard Carter, BOG member, Wheeling; Katie Cooper, assistant vice president of Enrollment Management; John Dolan, alumnus and chairman of the WLU Foundation Board; Dr. Jamie Evick, alumna and BOG secretary, Glen Dale, W.Va.; Dr. Daniel “Dan” Joseph, alumnus and vice chair of the WLU Foundation Board; Dr. Karen Kettler, dean of the College of Sciences; Ryan Glanville (WLU staff member), Wheeling; Sydney Burkle, (student government president), Wheeling, W.Va.; David H. McKinley, vice chairman of search committee, BOG member and alumnus, Wheeling; Chris McPherson, director of Student Learning & Student Development Center; Jason Metz, BOG faculty member, Pittsburgh; and Stephanie Shaw, alumna and BOG member, Columbus, Ohio.