WEST LIBERTY, Oct. 11, 2017 — Homecoming is the main event of the year for alumni and takes place this coming weekend. This year Hilltopper Alumni can choose to participate in several new opportunities, including an alumni fun run on Saturday, Oct. 14 and an alumni choir concert on Sunday, Oct. 15.
“We are expecting to welcome hundreds of alums back to the hilltop as we celebrate another big Homecoming. As an alumnus myself, I can tell you it’s the best time to reconnect with classmates and relax and enjoy our beautiful campus,” said Executive Director of Alumni and Community Relations Ron Witt.
A complete schedule includes:
Friday, October 13:
- Third Annual Homecoming Golf Outing at Highlands Springs Golf Course, Wellsburg, W.Va. Tee times start at 10 a.m. Cost is $25 and includes golf and cart.
- Alumni Reunion Party at Undo’s in Elm Grove. Hosted by alumnus Nick Sparachane ’75. Happy Hour is from 5-7 p.m., live entertainment begins at 5:30 p.m. and dinner specials are all night long. Undo’s also is the Homecoming game sponsor.
- President’s Recognition Dinner and Alumni Wall of Honor Induction Ceremony at the Highlands Event Center. This invitation-only event honors members of The John P. McCullough Society, The President’s Circle, The Nathan Shotwell Society, and the Alumni Wall of Honor Class that includes: John Hennen ’70, Katie Kacmarik ’08 and Al Roszczyk ’80.
Saturday, October 14:
- WLU Alumni Run – past and present members of the WLU cross-country team will be meeting at 8:30 a.m. in front of Blatnik Gymnasium for a group run. Any and all former XC and track members are welcome to join.
- Food, Music and Games in the Academic, Sports and Recreation Complex (ASRC) parking lot starting at 10 a.m. Some of the festivities include inflatables, plus arts and crafts for the kids; live music by WGLZ radio and special performances by the WLU Steel Drum Band, WLU African Drumming and the WLU Drumline.
- Homecoming Parade gets underway at 10:30 a.m. from the West Liberty Volunteer Fire Department.
- Hilltoppers take on Glenville State Football at 1 p.m. at West Family Stadium in the Undo’s sponsored Homecoming Game.
- Halftime ceremonies include special recognition of the Alumni Wall of Honor inductees and the Hilltopper Homecoming King and Queen will be announced.
- Fraternity and Sorority Reunions – There are a number of fraternity and sorority alumni groups reuniting on Saturday as well as several former athletic teams including baseball, softball, football, wrestling, men’s and women’s basketball, and cross country/track.
- Tailgating in designated areas from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. It is BYOB, but no glass bottles or kegs are permitted. Must be of legal age (21 years or older) to consume alcohol and no one under the age of 18 will be permitted in the Student Tailgating Area. Beer and wine will be available for purchase in the ASRC parking lot.
- WLU Campus Police officers will patrol the tailgating area. Tailgating ends one hour after the end of the game. All individuals must vacate the tailgating area by this time.
- Alumni Post-Homecoming Party at G-Top! All alumni and friends are welcome to attend a gathering at G-Top located just across Rt. 88 from the main campus. There will be food and beverages available for purchase as well as live entertainment from 5-8 p.m. featuring Ezra and John Banco from the band Hit Play. Due to the anticipated high traffic volume after the football game, a shuttle service will be provided to and from G-Top. People are encouraged to leave their vehicles on campus (in designated shuttle bus parking areas). The shuttle will run from approximately 4 until 11 p.m.
- Hilltop Players Inaugural Wall of Fame will honor three longtime professors: Dr. Helen M.T. Kelly, Mr. Stanley Harrison and Mr. John E. Reilly at a special evening event. The ceremony begins at 5 p.m. in Kelly Theatre and will be followed by a reception and a performance of the season opener, “As It Is In Heaven.” There is a special ticket price of $25 that includes the ceremony, the reception and the show.
Sunday, October 15:
- Alumni Choir Concert – The West Liberty University Department of Music and Theatre will be hosting an alumni choir concert at 6 p.m. in College Hall for anyone who sang under the director of Dr. Alfred R. de Jaager. De Jaager will assist current Director of Choral Activities Ryan Keeling in the special performance. The event is free and open to the public.
For additional information, please visit westliberty.edu/alumni/homecoming-october-14-2017 or WLU Connect. You may also contact the Alumni Office at 304.336.8888 or email [email protected] for more information.