WEST LIBERTY, W.Va., April 3, 2019 — West Liberty University students are staging “9 – 5 The Musical” this spring as they close another successful theatre season.
Directed by Dr. Melinda Kreisberg, the musical opens at 7:30 p.m., Thursday, April 11 in Kelly Theatre. It continues with performances at 7:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, April 12, 13 and 3 p.m., Sunday, April 14.
“This is incredibly collaborative show and involves students and faculty, from dance, theatre and music and the biology programs. We all work together to put on the show and it’s so much fun. It’s really a great West Liberty University production,” said Kreisberg, who has been involved with the theater program for 10 years though she is a professor of biology in the College of Sciences.
Kreisberg is assisted by Professor of Music Dr. Linda Cowan (musical director), Assistant Professor of Theatre Meta Lasch (costume and scenery designer), adjunct faculty Jill Warren (choreography), Professor of Music Dr. Matthew Harder (sound technology) and adjunct faculty Shelby Garrett (acting coach).
With music and lyrics by Dolly Parton and book by Patricia Resnick, the musical is based on the 1980 hit movie by the same name. Set in the late 1970s, this hilarious story of friendship and revenge in the Rolodex era is outrageous, thought provoking and even a little romantic.
Pushed to the boiling point, three female coworkers make a plan to get even with the sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot they call their boss. In a hilarious turn of events, Violet, Judy and Doralee live out their wildest fantasy, giving their boss the boot! While Hart remains “otherwise engaged,” the women give their workplace a dream makeover, taking control of the company that had always kept them down.This high-energy show has a jubilant score and easily relatable characters, 9 to 5 is the perfect show for audiences who want comedy, nostalgia and social relevance.
- Violet: Callie Carroll, Morgantown, W.Va.
- Doralee: Glory Dami, Steubenville, Ohio
- Judy: Mary Horzempa, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Franklin Hart: Hayden Heiserman, Weirton, W.Va.
- Roz: Amanda Tamplen, Charles Town, W.Va.
- Joe: Grant Van Camp, Brooke County
- Dwayne: Jalen McCrary (Doralee’s husband)
- Josh: J.J. Snider (Violet’s son)
- Missy: Odessa Hores (Hart’s wife)
- Maria Delgado: Lexi Glover
- Dick: Daniel White (Judy’s ex-husband)
- Kathy the gossip: Josie Jarrett
- Margaret the drunk: Alex Burdick
- Bob Enright: Isaac Cardot
- Tinsworthy: Ben Moore
- Detective: Doug Torres
- Doctor: Maria Keane
- Candy Striper: Rose Cunningham
- New Employee: Kristian Slavik
- Dolly/Narrator: Hunter Helms
- Corpse: Shannon Shiflett
- Others: Carly Balog, Autumn Carver, Zach Ziolkowski
Tickets for all Hilltop Players productions will be available through Brown Paper Tickets and on sale 30 days prior to the opening of each production. For more information, please call the WLU box office 304.336.8277.