Nancy Smith-Harris ’36 Scholarship – In 1994, Nancy Smith Harris bequeathed in her last will and testament funds to establish this scholarship, which is to be used for scholarships for students majoring in English. The Nancy Smith-Harris ’36 Scholarship is a $1500/year scholarship for four years.
- Be in the upper third of his/her high school class
- Major in English at West Liberty University
- Have an ACT verbal score that would place the student in the upper 1/3 of those tested
To maintain Eligibility, student must:
- Maintain a 3.25 overall GPA
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA in English course at WLU
Application Process: Please send a letter explaining why you should be selected to [email protected] with a subject line of Nancy Smith-Harris Scholarship Application
Application Deadline: April 1
Raymond G. Hughes Memorial Scholarship – Kent (’61) and Barbara Robinson established this scholarship in memory of Raymond G. Hughes, Professor of English from 1931-1970. Throughout his career, Dr. Hughes taught language and literature to thousands of students. He contracted polio as a child, which left him with some physical disabilities, however, his capacious intellect, a hair-trigger humor, and jovial spirit were what made him most memorable. He never let his dependence on a wheelchair keep him from being in the thick of activities at West Liberty. He was an advisor of several fraternities, performed in college plays, subsidized students who could not pay their tuition, and took others with him on his trips worldwide. The Raymond G. Hughes Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to one student majoring in English during his or her 2nd, 3rd, and 4th academic year. The award amount will change each year.
- Have and maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Be declared an English major
This scholarship will be awarded for up to six semesters, a long as the recipient continues to:
- Major in English at WLU
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Application Process: A letter of application should be submitted to [email protected] with a subject line of Raymond G. Hughes Memorial Scholarship Application. The letter should outline the applicant’s academic performance and contributions to the English division.
Application Deadline: April 1
College of Liberal Arts Housing Waiver
In Order to qualify for a housing waiver, the following qualifications must be met:
- The student must be an incoming freshman who has declared a major within a department of the College of Liberal Arts (criminal justice, English, social sciences, or social work)
- If applying on the basis of financial need, the student must have and maintain a 2.5 grade point average overall and a 3.0 GPA in his/her major.
- If applying on the basis of merit, the student must have and maintain a 3.0 grade point average overall, and a 3.5 GPA in his/her major.
- Each award is limited to 2 semesters, but students can reapply.
Application Process: A letter of application should be submitted to [email protected] with the subject line of CoLA Housing Waiver. The letter should include the following information:
- Student’s name
- Current address
- Phone number(s)
- Email address
- GPA (Overall and Major)
- Term(s) the waiver is being requested (ex. Fall 2017)
- Introduction of yourself
- Explanation of the reason for your request
- Description of academic interests
- Description of career goals
- The deadline to apply for Fall will be Aug 1, and the deadline to apply for Spring will be December 1.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- You will be notified as to the committee’s decision by August 15 for Fall, and December 15 for Spring.
David T. Javersak College of Liberal Arts Scholarship Fund – This scholarship fund is named in honor of Dr. David T. Javersak, Professor Emeritus and Dean Emeritus of West Liberty University. Dr. Javersak taught history for 39 years and served as Dean of the College of Liberal Arts from 1986 until his retirement in 2007.
Five $500.00 scholarships will be awarded each year to students majoring in English, Criminal Justice, Social Science (concentration in History or Geography & Planning), and Social Work. Scholarships will be awarded based upon academic performance and/or financial need. Students may reapply each year providing that they remain in a designated degree program and maintain the required GPA.
- Have a Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher OR an ACT score of 22 or higher
- Complete the WLU application information sheet (can be completed online).
- Application packets should be sent to [email protected] with the subject of David T. Javersak College of Liberal Arts Scholarship. The packet should include:
- Cover Letter
- Essay explaining why the applicant should be selected
- Letter of support from a guidance counselor, teacher, or employer
Application Deadline: April 1.