Extra curricular activities
The Division of Art faculty engages students in a variety of ways outside the classroom. This takes the form of field trips, workshops, gallery events, etc. These are activities faculty engages in outside of required course work. Here are additional highlights:
- The Annual West Virginia Media Arts and Design (MAD) Festival: An entire day devoted to celebrating media arts. Guest artists, free educational sessions with media professionals , and student exhibitions of work.
- Extreme Art Night: An all night art event with guest speakers, workshops, music, movies, live models and competitions. The event provides the faculty an opportunity to engage students in a variety of activities and topics in a relaxed fun way. Now in its eighth year.
- New York City trip: A five-day trip to NYC to explore museums, galleries and design firms in New York.
- Monthly gallery openings in the Nutting Gallery located in the Hall of Fine Arts. Artists from around the region display and interact with students. Many of the artists presenting in the gallery also conduct workshops for students, the community and faculty.
- Field trip to Pittsburgh and surrounding areas: Trips to local museums and design firms in Pittsburgh give students and faculty an opportunity to engage professionals in their work environment. Many of the AIGA events take place in the Pittsburgh area.
- The Itch: A Campus Arts Magazine: Online magazine created by WLU students and faculty. Every issue will explore art, music and writing. If you would like to contribute content please contact Professor Paul Padgett at (304)336-8101.