The Hospitality and Tourism Society (H.A.T.S.) is a professional student organization designed primarily for business students pursuing the specialization in Hospitality and Tourism Management, but open for membership to all West Liberty students who have an interest in travel and tourism; hotel and resort management; food and beverage service/restaurants; institutional food service management; convention, event, and meeting planning; or management positions in casino gaming, entertainment, festivals, amusement parks, or local, state, and national parks and recreation.
- enhancing career development (such as internships and shadowing opportunities, professional association conventions and seminars, membership in national honoraries, site visits, contact with West Liberty HTM graduates, development of e-portfolios, etc.);
- contributing to the growth in size and stature of the Hospitality and Tourism Management specialization in the Gary E. West College of Business (including student recruitment and retention, pursuit of corporate sponsorships and scholarship funds, etc.);
- promoting social activities and camaraderie among HTM students and others with similar interests, including local and distance travel and;
- informing students, faculty, administration, parents, alumni, and the community through public relations and a society website.
With “hospitality” in its name, this growing group makes sure that professional development goes hand-in-hand with fun! Past activities have included:
- Regular monthly meetings (often with snacks or pizza)
- Tours of local hospitality and tourism venues
- Resume and cover letter workshop
- Social dinner outings at local restaurants
- World Tourism Day Photo Contest
- Fundraising by selling WL temporary tattoos and gift basket raffle tickets at Homecoming
- Gift boxes for needy children holiday service project
- New student recruiting – providing tours and mentoring to prospective HTM students; representing the program at Open House
For more information, contact Faculty Advisor William Koegler or 304-336-8053.