Embracing New Leadership

West Liberty University’s student body has seen several changes over the past year, and aside from a very active president, none have had quite the immediate impact as the newly-appointed Student Government Association executive board.

SGA members are responsible for many of the student activities and programs that happen throughout the year, with Homecoming as their top priority.
    “Homecoming this year was by far our biggest success yet,” said David “Reid” Boden, SGA President. “We plan things well in advance, and we’re still learning the directions we want to go.”
    Boden is a sophomore education major who was born in Washington, Pa. and grew up primarily in Keyser, W.Va. He ran for SGA president as a freshman last year and believes that his ambition and love for the school and public service helped him overcome any obstacle to land the position.
    “There were some people who were very, very unsure about my presidency,” Boden said. “There were some people who thought I was too young, too inexperienced, and not ready for the position. What I thought was that it was time for this organization to have fresh, new leadership and a fresh, new vision.”
    “I feel a very deep connection to this school; that’s part of the reason why I came here,” Boden said. “I wanted to be a part of something so much bigger than myself and be a part of an organization that was rebuilding itself.”
    West Liberty’s SGA was recognized by the American Student Government Association. Their current goals include planning various student activities, rebuilding the “Topper Den,” which is the student section at sporting events, and even considering a Redbox machine for the campus.
    “We have people that want to get involved, that want to participate in things on campus,” Boden said. “I would say that the student body is excited, they’re energetic, and they’re taking pride in this school. When I say it’s a new day and a new era here on the Hilltop, I really mean that.”

Author: IA Staff

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *