“I welcome Jay to the team and know that his years of experience will benefit the development office and the entire University as we advance our mission,” said Director of Development Angela Zambito Hill, CFRE, who will be his supervisor. “This gives us an opportunity to focus on endowment growth and to address the needs of our Nathan Shotwell Planned Giving Society.”
Frey’s more than 35 years of fundraising experience ranges from serving in small development offices to large organizations. Currently, he is the interim vice president for advancement at Carlow University, Pittsburgh.
Prior to that, he was on the leadership team of the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation, serving as vice president for development and vice president for strategic initiatives from 2010 to 2013. Other career highlights include:
- Senior major gifts officer, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago.
- Vice president for development, Chicago Historical Society, exceeded $30 million goal.
- Vice president of philanthropy, Rush North Shore Medical Center, Skokie, Ill.
- Senior director of major gifts, University of Chicago Medical Center.
- Director of faculty patient gifts, Harvard Medical School, raising $70 million.
- Began fundraising career while teacher at The Harvey School, Katonah, N.Y.
Frey serves on the boards of the AFP Western Pennsylvania Chapter; Pittsburgh Opera; Elmhurst, The House of Friendship; the Friends of Wheeling; the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra Society, City of Wheeling Hall of Fame and is a member of the committee on directorship for the AFP Foundation (US). He has held the Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential since 2001.
A native of Wheeling, he is a graduate of Triadelphia High School and holds a Bachelor of Music and a Master of Music in Teaching degrees from the Oberlin College Conservatory of Music. You may reach him by calling 304-336-8888 or emailing him at [email protected]