If You Have Been Assaulted
Call Someone You Can Trust:
- A friend or family member
- The Counseling Center: 304.336.8215 (Confidential Reporter)
- The Health Center: 304.336.8049 (Confidential Reporter)
- Campus Police: 304.336.8018
- Sexual Assault Help Center 24 hour hotline: 1.800.884.7242
If You Can:
- Seek immediate medical attention to check any injuries and to discuss concerns about pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Do not shower or bathe.
If You Seek Medical Care, You Should Be Prepared:
- To have evidence collected for possible prosecution if the assault occurred within the last 72 hours.
- If possible, to not shower, bathe, or douche/urinate prior to going to the emergency room for evidence collection. If you have washed or douched, let the doctor know.
- If possible, to not change your clothes.
- If you do need to change, place all clothing and shoes in a paper, not plastic, bag.
- Your clothing, including shoes, worn at the time of the assault will be kept as part of the evidence collection. These will be returned if no charges are pressed or at the conclusion of any legal proceeding.
If You Go to the Hospital:
- Bring a change of clothing or place each piece of evidence clothing in a separate paper bag and bring them to the hospital.
- Try to bring someone with you for support.
If You Choose to Report:
- You can request an advocate be with you while you make your complaint.
- Understand if the individual taking the report appears cool or distant, they are required to be a neutral party with a responsibility to gather data.
- It is not uncommon to forget details of the incident, or to remember them later. Share additional details, with your advocate or the investigator of your complaint, as soon as you remember them.
- Know that you are protected against any type of retaliatory behavior that is connected to your complaint. Any action of retaliation is a further violation of policy and is subject to sanctions.
Submitting an Inquiry or Filing A Complaint:
The Title IX Coordinator Diana Harto ([email protected] or 304.336.8139) is available to assist with any questions or concerns. You can also submit a complaint online here: Online Title IX Complaint Form. Please note that it will take at least one to two business days to review and process any report submitted electronically.