Senior pitcher hopes to finish WLU career on high note

By Josh Smith, Contributing Writer

Choosing the best fit in a university for a student-athlete can be a very hard decision. With the many options that recruiting offers, narrowing down a selection is easier said than done. Here at West Liberty University, a handful of baseball players have transferred in from other colleges. One of those players is senior pitcher Greg Stagani

Stagani grew up only thirty miles from the hilltop in the small town of Richmond, Ohio. Richmond is home to the Wildcats of Edison High School, where Stagani began his stellar baseball career. Stagani had the opportunity to play against solid talent around the Ohio Valley, and was even able to travel to places like Arizona to play in tournament games. He also was awarded the chance to play in the All-Ohio Mizuno game his senior year. 

“My high school baseball career was unforgettable,” said Stagani. “I was lucky enough to enjoy some great success as a player in high school and make memories I won’t forget with my teammates.” 

After graduating high school, Stagani had the hard decision of choosing between multiple universities that recruited him. He first attended Mount Vernon Nazarene University near Columbus, Ohio, but quickly knew it was not the perfect fit he was searching for. Upon his decision to transfer, West Liberty University was at the top of his list. 

“I had friends here; it was close to home,” said Stagani. “It was a program where I had the chance to play right away to help win games for Coach Burkle.”

Over his four-year career here at WLU, Stagani has been a dominant pitcher on the mound for the Toppers.

Appearing in a total of 41 games, Stagani has a record of 22-19, an ERA of 2.84 and a whopping 203 strikeouts. His solid stats have rewarded him All-MEC and second-team All-region honors. 

“If I had to choose one thing I’d want my teammates to remember me by, I hope they remember me by my hardworking mentality,” said Stagani. “Day in and day out, just like the rest of my squad, I work my tail off to make our team the best it can be.”  

After a long, successful college career, Greg Stagani is playing in his final season as a Hilltopper. Stagani, a Health and PE graduate now focusing on a master’s degree in Administration and Coaching, hopes to work in an athletic department or baseball program, acting as a coach. 

Photo credit: Hilltoppersports.com
Be Sociable, Share!