West Liberty student raises money for children through gaming (Q&A)

By Jessica Broverman, Editor

Q: Tell me about yourself! What is your age, major, and grade year? Do you work on campus or off?

Sure thing! Well first off, I’d like to greatly thank you for this opportunity. It really means a lot to me. My name is Garett Geho, I am 22 years old, and I am a senior Psychology Major here at West Liberty University. I am currently a Resident Assistant on campus, and I have been one for more than a year now. It’s been a wonderful opportunity, and I’m very thankful for who I work with and work for.

Q: What is Extra Life and how did you become involved with it?

Extra Life is an online charity organization with connections that spread all throughout the country and many other parts of the world as well. As a gamer, you connect through Extra Life to a charity near you, and this creates a line straight through to that local charity. So, when a donation is placed, it goes directly to the charity involved, and the charity I’ve decided to support is WVU Children’s Hospital.

I found out about Extra Life through other, more popular youtubers who were also doing the same thing, and I’ve been involved with Extra Life since early May of this year. I’ve been planning this event for months, and now that it is finally happening, I couldn’t be more excited. I get to do what I love alongside like-minded individuals who are passionate about the same things that I am, while raising money for a great cause.

Q: How much of the proceeds will go to the Children’s Hospital?

All of the proceeds, whether that be from physical donations given at the event or donations submitted online will all be going directly to the charity we are supporting. I have been advertising the event for at least a month now, so I hope that helps the turnout of participants, but if we raise any amount of money at all, I will be happy. All in all, I see this as a great opportunity to get students involved with social events on campus, and if we raise any money in the process, that just seems like an extra positive aspect of the event.

Q: What caused you to become so involved in the social media world, while also including fundraising opportunities while gaming?

Well, about a year ago is when I started watching Youtube videos daily. It was less about the humor provided by the person I was watching and more about who I was watching, and feeling connected with them. Markiplier, a very specific youtuber I watched just made me smile every day with his videos and I always felt like he was talking directly to me when he spoke.

This brightened my day every single day, and after seeing the very sincere and loving relationship he had with his fans, I thought to myself “I want that too.” I wanted to do my best to spread positivity to others and brighten their day in whatever way I could as well, and for the past seven months, that’s what I’ve been trying my best to do.

On a very small scale, I just want to brighten someone’s day every day and make them smile, but on a large scale, I hope to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for charity, and I feel like this event is a very large stepping stone for me, my channel, and the already impressive community that we have created together. I may not be able to accomplish much on my own, but as a group effort backed by everyone’s love, support, and teamwork, we can do anything.

Q: How do you balance school, work, and other events like this one?

Managing my school hours, Resident Assistant duties, daily YouTube videos and three livestreams per week does require a bit of finesse and time management. I’m actually quite organized when managing my time, but the desire to constantly be creating content for my social media outlets does leave me deprived of sleep on most occasions, but that is perfectly fine by me. When you put in the extra work to make something you’re proud of, the feeling of accomplishment you get makes it all worth it.

If someone out there watches one of my videos and enjoys it, that makes all the hours of effort totally worth it. I am very passionate about what I do and I do what I love, so if I can brighten someone’s day in the process, then everything pretty much comes full circle. I’m very thankful to have the opportunity to entertain anyone who watches the content I create for them.

Q: What is your favorite part about helping others through gaming?

Gaming is a very social medium. I’ve met so many amazing and friendly people in these past few months, and I can’t wait to make more friends as I go along. With my Youtube and Twitch channels, reaching out to others has been so beneficial to my life and to theirs.

But among other reasons, my favorite part might simply be the fact that it is so convenient to reach out to others. Even as little as five years ago, this type of thing would have been completely unheard of. Gaming on youtube was just recently starting to pick up, and Twitch (the service I use to livestream, which consists of playing and interacting with others in real-time) wasn’t even invented until 2011, and didn’t become very popular until around early 2013.

But in summary, I’d say that the convenience of it all is my favorite aspect. You can search for a video by your favorite youtuber, watch it, and instantly have your day brightened by their presence in a matter of minutes. The positivity and energy of some people are infectious, and today’s current technology makes connecting with those individuals on an emotional level that much easier, and that is definitely something that I love the most about it.

Be Sociable, Share!