Make a game plan to tackle course pre-registration

By Jessica Broverman, Editor

Pre-registration is always a battle.

Whether you want to take classes that your advisor says you can’t or you simply don’t know how to prepare your schedule, we all have to go through the struggle that is registering for classes.

Over the years, I have had my fair share of good experiences and bad experiences when it comes to registering for classes. Through those experiences, I can help assist you in preparing to meet with your advisor and tell you all the do’s and don’ts.

One of the don’ts of the registration process is being unorganized. Showing up to your advising meeting with absolutely no information is probably one of the worst things you could do. Not only will this make your advisor extremely angry, but it will also make the meeting three or four times longer than it should be. If you already have met with your advisor and made this rookie mistake, just remember next time to be more prepared.

An important thing to do to is make the weight of this experience quick and easy. Get the CRN numbers of the classes you want to take. Be sure that when you do write down these CRN’s that the classes don’t conflict. There is nothing more frustrating than thinking you have all of your information correct and then having to redo all of it at the last minute.

During my first two years of college, registering was a nightmare, and I always left irritated and disappointed. Whether it was my advisor not caring about my needs as a student, or simply being spoken down to while trying to convey what I wanted, it always ended disastrously.

Now that I have spent much time with advisors over the years, I have learned one very important thing: Don’t get bullied into a corner.

Yes, it is our advisor’s job to advise us, but there is a big difference between advising and bullying. That is not to say that the professors on campus aren’t helping us, because they are in a tremendous way guiding us through college. Even so, don’t allow them to say things like, “This course has nothing to do with your major, so I’m going to cross it off and put you in accounting.”

Though you obviously need classes that pertain to your major, college is also about having new experiences and learning new things. If you want to take a class on feng shui yoga, whatever that is, then do it. 

From the perspective of someone who has been in college for over three years, the registration process is not too difficult as long as you do it right.

Be organized, know your information and stand your ground. Not only will your advisor take you more seriously if you show up with a good game plan, but they will also be lenient in allowing you to take courses that you want.

Be Sociable, Share!