Trumpet Solo: Maggie Bonar, Freshman Dental Hygiene Major

By Hannah Mason, Assistant Editor

Q: Can you tell me a little bit of general information about the pageant?
A: The Miss West Virginia Teen USA Pageant was Oct. 17, 18, and 19 held in Flatwoods, W.Va. There were 28 contestants from all across the state of W.Va.

Q: Have you competed in pageants before? If so, was this one different?
A: I have been competing in pageants since I was seven years old.

Q: What all was involved in the competition?
A: There were three phases of competition: Personal interview with a panel of judges, swimsuit, and evening gown with an onstage question. In order to prepare for the competition, I worked with a highly qualified and experienced pageant coach, Heather Habura, and also worked with a personal trainer at Next Level Training for nine months leading up to the pageant. The weekend was filled with late night rehearsals every evening and full production competitions every day also.

Q: How do you feel about being awarded first runner-up?
A: I am beyond humbled and grateful for the opportunity that I was given. I am so fortunate to have been awarded the first runner-up position and I know that our new Miss West Virginia Teen USA, Cora King, will represent W.Va. at the Miss Teen USA pageant in the Bahamas extremely well. The Miss USA system is a great program for young women. It gives young women a microphone to speak about important social causes that they feel strongly about. It also opens many doors, such as career opportunities.

Q: What’s your favorite part of the Miss West Virginia Teen USA pageant?
A: My favorite part about competing at Miss West Virginia Teen USA was being able to represent the place that I grew up. Representing the Northern Panhandle on a state level was a success in itself, and first runner-up was simply the cherry on top.

Be Sociable, Share!