Midterm Policy

By Katie Ralbusky, Online Editor

It has become apparent recently that a new policy for midterms has been instated.

Instead of the traditional way, where only students who have Ds and Fs in classes receive them, West Liberty has now mandated all classes give all of their students midterms. What exactly does this spell out for the student body, not to mention the professors?

Students do not seem all that affected by the new policy. When asked they replied, “It doesn’t bother me,” or “Well, at least I get to see how I’m doing in my classes.” There were also replies such as, “Isn’t that what SAKAI’s for?” and “I don’t care.” As a student I have to agree that the policy itself doesn’t affect me. I like seeing how I’m doing in my classes but I can just as easily check my progress out on SAKAI or ask my professors. This is another matter entirely for the faculty.

There are a few upbeat professors like Professor McCullough who stated, “I think the policy is fine. It doesn’t take much time to calculate the grades, and if the students benefit from the extra information, then that is always a positive.” Meanwhile, it’s been suggested by most professors that the extra work isn’t a problem but, “With the old policy, midterm grades where only Ds and Fs were sent home actually served as notifications that certain students needed to turn it up a notch and do better in the second half of the semester. Now, students who are performing at a level that’s perhaps higher than they expected might decide to cruise and lose that higher grade. This is especially dangerous for courses where the majority of the grade is wrapped up into end-of-term projects. Additionally, some students pay their own way and don’t appreciate having midterm grades sent home to their parents, where even a C might create issues.”

Articles have been written on midterms before and whether or not they truly matter in the scheme of things. It moreover depends on the person and their field but it is important to note final projects and overall attendance usually count for a significant portion of the grade. While this policy does seem all that important it is crucial to consider the indirect impact upon both students and teachers.

Be Sociable, Share!