The Admissions Committee will select from among those candidates who show the most promise of becoming outstanding PAs. We will look for intelligent, mature and highly motivated students from diverse educational and cultural backgrounds who will have the potential to become compassionate, competent health care providers and team members. We will review each application individually on his or her own merit. Admission decisions are based on the evaluation of the applicant’s academic record, personal statement, previous medical experience, letters of recommendation, and the formal interview (see prerequisites). We expect applicants to have some awareness of the nature of medical care as it is practiced today and to be able to commit themselves to a profession dedicated to providing compassionate, quality care to the sick and injured. Preference for selection will be given to applicants who have prior health care experience, PA shadowing, a record of community service, graduates of West Liberty University and those who are residents of West Virginia. Many of our students will have medical exposure in fields such as military corpsman, nurse, surgical tech, respiratory therapy, and EMT.
The university and program are committed to equal opportunity for men and women, and does not discriminate on the basis race, gender, national origin, or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations will be made for applicants with handicaps, however, as part of the admission process, all applicants must meet the technical standards requirements .
This application cycle will run from April 27, 2017 to October 1, 2017. Priority in application review and an invitation for an early interview session will be given to those applicants who have submitted a *verified CASPA application along with our on-line supplemental application AND the required $25.00 application fee on or before August 1, 2017. If you miss the early interview deadline, we must receive both applications and application fee on or before the cycle deadline of October 1, 2017, NO EXCEPTIONS. Should you choose to send your payment via check or money order, please make it payable to West Liberty University.
- “Verified” CASPA application
Applicants must have their application “verified” (GPA calculation completed) by the deadline date posted. To ensure the application is verified by CASPA on time, CASPA states that all applicants should complete the process at least four weeks in advance of the deadline date. (e-submitted, payment received, transcripts received, and three letters of recommendation received).
- WLU On-line Supplemental Application
Applicants must fill out the WLU PA on-line supplemental application along with a $25.00 application fee. The fee can be paid on-line or by sending in a check/money order payable to West Liberty University to the address listed in STEP 2 below.
*Our faculty will not review any CASPA application that has not been given a “verified” status.
- First: The applicant will fill out and submit a CASPA Application
- Second: The applicant will complete and submit West Liberty University’s: WLU ON-LINE SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION and the on-line $25.00 application fee or send a check/money order made payable to West Liberty University & submitted to the following address:
West Liberty University – PA Admissions
208 University Drive
College Union Box 101
West Liberty, WV 26074
Foreign educated applicants must also submit the required additional materials.
- Third: Select applicants will be invited to West Liberty University campus for personal interviews. During the interview process, all applicants will be asked to write a brief composition on a particular topic & screened in Medical Terminology.
- Fourth: All candidates will be notified in writing of the admissions committee’s decision. Those candidates who are chosen to interview, will be notified of the admission committee’s decision as early as 10 days following the interview and no later that March 1. Successful candidates will be contacted personally by the PA program and invited to take a seat in the program. The official letter of acceptance from our University’s Admissions Office will follow.
- Fifth: A confirmation and deposit is required to hold your place in the class and to confirm your acceptance. You will not be allowed to register until the deposit is received. The deposit fee is $500.00 and will be applied toward your first term’s tuition. Should you decide not to attend, this deposit is nonrefundable.
- *Note: It is not necessary to send transcripts directly to the University in addition to what the applicant has already submitted to CASPA during the application process unless:
1). The applicant has courses in progress at the time of application.
2). The applicant is in the process of completing an undergraduate degree.
3). The applicant is offered a seat in the program. Should the applicant accept a seat in the program, admittance is contingent on receipt and verification of all “official” transcripts and any other supporting documents. Selected candidates are also required to pass a Background Check as well as a Drug Screening. All will be complete and successful BEFORE matriculation.