West Liberty University will welcome students to campus with a weekend of activity during Topper Fiesta, Aug. 23 – 25.
Planned by Housing and Residence Life, Topper Fiesta includes activities at all residence halls and is coordinated by Jim Compston.
First year students move in on Friday, Aug. 23 and returning students begin moving back to the Hilltopper Campus on Sunday, Aug. 25. Classes begin Monday, Aug. 26.
Topper Fiesta is a special program of welcome to new students and begins with a 4 p.m., Friday, Aug. 23, investiture ceremony that includes a new student convocation and formal welcome to the class of 2017. It will be held in the ASRC.
During Topper Fiesta, WLU also presents first time freshmen with their own personal laptop computer, either a Windows Notebook or Apple iPad. The computers are distributed from 1 – 3 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 25 in the Elbin Library
The West Liberty University student laptop program is now in its sixth year and is coordinated by WLU’s Information Technology Services, under the direction of James Clark.
Topper Fiesta also includes a Mexican-themed two-week schedule of social events designed to welcome new students to campus and offer social interaction.
Some of the social events include:
- 8:30 p.m., Friday, Aug. 23, Black Light Dance, College Union
- 7 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 25, Karaoke, College Union
- 9 p.m., Monday, Aug. 26 Comedians, College Union
- 8 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 27, Concert on the Quad sponsored by Student Government Association
- 8 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 28, Hypnotist Performance, College Union
- 7 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 29, Blast from the Past Carnival, Hoge Quadrangle
- 8 p.m., Friday, Aug. 30, Cornhole Tournament, Hoge Quadrangle
There also will be a preview of the Marching Hilltoppers at noon, Friday, Aug. 23, when the campus is invited to celebrate the new school year and upcoming Hilltopper Football season with a sneak peek of the 2013 halftime show. The band performance will be held at Russek Field.
The last day to enroll for the fall semester or to add a class is Sept. 4.
Led by President Robin C. Capehart, WLU is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. For more information, please call 1.866.WESTLIB.