Permits teachers, with an existing certification and sufficient content in English, Reading, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies, to acquire an additional endorsement. Candidates must fulfill all requirements set by the WVDE to be recommended for licensure.
Common Core Courses (18 Credit Hours)
- EDUC 506 Motivation and the Development of Creativity
- EDUC 502 Professional Writing
- EDUC 503 Technology Applications
- EDUC 512 Assessment and Analysis for Teaching – Learning
- EDUC 553 Law and Liability
- EDUC 581 Research and Capstone
Area of Emphasis (12 Credit Hours)
- SPED 548 (Counts for SPED 348) Advanced Assessment and Instruction ED/BD (Pre-Requisite: SPED 541 and EDUC 512)
- SPED 551 (Counts for SPED 341) Proactive Classroom Management
- SPED 555 (Counts for SPED 355) Advanced Assessment and Instruction LD/MI (Pre-Requisite: SPED 541 and EDUC 512)
- READ 512 (Counts for READ 312) Advanced Reading Intervention
Electives (6 Credit Hours)
- SPED 501 Autism I
- SPED 501 Autism II
- SPED 520 Collaborative Teaching (Required for Certification)
- SPED 541 (Counts for SPED 241) Characteristics of Students with Special Needs (Required for Certification)
- SPED 580 Student Teaching in Special Education (Required for Certification)
Students who are going for certification in Special Education need to refer to the Graduate Student Policy Manual, pages 13 and 14. Also, the student will need to complete a student teaching requirement.
Click to see the complete Graduate Course Descriptions.
Click to download the complete Planning Check Sheet.
Each of the classes are 3 credit-hours. They will meet as face to face and on-line to equal fifteen (15) sessions during an eight week time period during a regular semester or a six week time period during a summer session. When the courses meet face to face they will be conducted at the West Liberty Highlands Center in Wheeling, WV.
Complete the Degree Plan at the completion of 18 hours. This plan needs to be given to your Graduate Advisor for signature and then submitted to the Director of Graduate Education. You will receive a signed copy in return to confirm the acceptance of your courses and remaining program requirements. Official transcripts are required to be to be sent to WLU’s registrar before any transfer credits can be added to your West Liberty University transcript. Click to download Degree Plan form.
For more information, please contact:
Interim Director of the Graduate Program
West Liberty University
303 Main Hall
208 University Drive
Campus Union Box 103
West Liberty, WV 26074