West Liberty University offers a 36 credit hour course of study leading to a Master of Arts in Education degree (M.A. Ed.). The College of Education program holds national accreditation from NCATE for its advanced program.
The Master of Arts in Education (M.A. Ed.) program is open to graduate level students and is designed to provide masters level work for individuals who wish to advance their professional knowledge, skills, and dispositions in the areas of:
- Advanced Teaching
This area is designed to help the candidate examine and enhance professional practice. Applicants not currently teaching may enroll in this area of emphasis.
- Community Education
- Entrepreneurship for Teaching
- Leadership Studies
Prepares professionals for key leadership positions, provide exemplary instruction and service, and conduct scholarly research that both advances theory and informs practice. This program will involve participants in the practice of being educational leaders.
- Advanced Special Education
- Special Education Multi-Categorical Certification
Permits teachers, with an existing certification and sufficient content in English, Reading, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies, to acquire an additional endorsement. Candidates must fulfill all requirements set by the WVDE to be recommended for licensure.
- Sports Leadership and Coaching
This area is for individuals working or desiring to work in school, university and community sports programs. It offers the opportunity to enhance one’s understanding of key issues involved in educational athletics and to further develop one’s leadership and coaching skills.
- Technology Integration
Permits teachers to acquire advanced skill sets in technology and technology integration. School-based assignments and experiences are an integral part of this area of emphasis.
The course work includes
- 18 credit hours of common core (CORE) of education courses, including a capstone course
- 12 credit hours of program emphasis courses fulfilling the requirements of one of four areas
- 6 credit hours of approved electives
- All students must purchase LiveText during the first graduate course attempted.