You have the right:
- To know your Title IX rights, which include access to all available resources (i.e. counseling, medical services, legal advocacy/support).
- To be treated with respect by West Liberty University administrators, faculty and staff.
- The right to be fully informed of the nature, rules, and procedures of the campus Title IX process and to timely written notice of all alleged violations within the complaint, including the nature of the violation and possible sanctions.
- To have West Liberty University policies and procedures followed.
- To not have irrelevant prior sexual history admitted as evidence in a campus investigation.
- To request an advocate for support and assistance during the campus investigation process.
- To petition that any member of the investigation team be removed on the basis of bias.
- To written notice of the outcome and sanction.
- To appeal the outcome and/or sanction at the conclusion of the investigation, in accordance with the standards for appeal established by West Liberty University.
- To be protected against retaliatory harassment.
If you have been accused of harassment or misconduct:
- Talk to someone you can trust: a friend, family member, counselor, or member of the clergy.
- Do not contact the alleged victim through any means – in person, by phone, by mail, by social media, via electronic communication, or through someone else.
- Familiarize yourself with West Liberty University’s sexual assault policy and process for investigating complaints of sexual harassment so that you know what to expect.
- Be aware that retaliation against a complaint, or any behavior that could be interpreted as such, will not only make the situation worse but is also unlawful and could result in additional complaints of misconduct and possible sanctions.
For questions and additional resources contact:
- Title IX Coordinator, Diana Harto, 304.336.8139, or e-mail [email protected]
For confidential support, contact:
- West Liberty University Counseling Service, Lisa Witzberger, at 304.336.8215 or [email protected]