School Nurse Program
West Liberty University is approved to offer the School Nurse Program by the West Virginia Department of Education. Three courses unique to this program are offered for students pursuing or holding a bachelor of science in nursing. Completion of courses, successful completion of the Pre-Professional Skills Test, and possession of an RN license are necessary for the candidate to apply for state certification as a school nurse in West Virginia.
Goals of the program:
- Be prepared for employment in entry position as a school nurse
- Qualify to write the West Virginia certification exam as a school nurse
- Be prepared to continue education at a graduate level.
Junior or senior standing in the West Liberty University Nursing Program. Current West Virginia RN license if enrolled in RN-BSN completion program. A licensed Registered Nurse that already holds a BSN degree must apply to West Liberty University.
STEPS FOR SCHOOL NURSE CERTIFICATION COMPLETION
- MUST complete Form 20S – School Nurse Certification available online at: https://wvde.state.wv.us/certification/forms/ . Please read and follow all of the steps carefully. There is a $35 application fee (checks payable to WVDE and include in completed packet).
- The faculty member in charge must complete the section for Institutional recommendation.
- Make sure content specialization and type of experience, grade levels and name of public school is filled in.
- Form 7 MUST accompany ALL initial applications. In addition to granting the West Virginia Department of Education permission to review records received from the WV State Police and FBI, the Form 7 may be used to request that an applicant’s WV State Police fingerprint results be forwarded to a WV County School System.
- **Original with signatures required. No faxed forms or copies are acceptable. **
- Make sure Application Info Page is COMPLETE.
- Make sure to attach an official transcript to the application and fingerprint receipt.
- Transcript must show successful completion of NUR 478, SPED 241, EDUC 409, and a nurse practicum course.
NUR 478 ST: School Health Nursing ……………… 2 Credit hours
SPED 241 Introduction to Exceptionalities ………. 3 Credit hours
EDUC 409 School Law and Organization …………. 1 Credit hour
- Provide proof of a valid nurse’s license.
- When complete, send the entire packet to Dr. Keely Camden, Dean of Education, for her review and signature. The College of Education will then mail it to WVDE.