Various nursing scholarships, academic achievement awards and loans are available or awarded to qualified students.
- Dorothy Long Scholarship – available to sophomore or junior nursing students.
- Nancy K Martin Scholarship – available to sophomore or junior nursing students.
- Lula K. Collins Scholarship – available to junior and senior nursing students.
- Don L. Seamon Memorial Scholarship – available to incoming freshman, sophomore, junior and senior nursing students.
- Nursing Scholarships – available to incoming sophomore, junior and senior nursing students.
- Human Touch Award & Scholarship- available to junior nursing students.
- HEAPS (Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student) Grant – available to part-time students through Financial Aid Office.
Additional scholarships may become available throughout the year.
Additional Online Scholarship Resources:
- Virginia Kasley Student Loan from Ohio Valley General Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association available to students accepted into the program.
- Jean Seabright Loan Program from Ohio Valley Medical Center, Wheeling, W.V., available to RN students.
- Paramedical Career Loan Fund from the Alliance to the Ohio County Medical Society, available to students accepted into the program.
- Federal Nursing Loans available through the Financial Aid Office at low Interest rates.
Applications and additional information regarding specific eligibility requirements for each scholarship and loans are available in the Nursing Program Office.
Senior Awards & Pinning Ceremony:
- PAULINE F. SONNEBORN AWARD Established in May 1957 by the Sonneborn family in honor of their mother. Award given to graduating senior who displays outstanding professional, personal, and social attributes.
- NIGHTINGALE AWARD Established in May 1974 by Joseph H. Strauss in the name of his family. Award given to graduating senior on the basis of clinical excellence.
- SALLY H. EBERHARD AWARD Established by Wheeling Hospital in 2005 in honor of Sally H. Eberhard, a former WLU nursing faculty member who served for many years. Award is given to graduating senior who displays a commitment to lifelong learning, caring attributes, and involvement in the profession of nursing.
Graduating seniors vote for their classmates who best embody the attributes of each of the above awards. The winners and graduating class are acknowledged and celebrated at the Annual Pinning Ceremony held before the University’s spring Commencement.