Admission Point # 2
In order to be admitted to Clinical Student Teaching, teacher candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Completed all but two courses in General Studies.
- Completed all required EDUC, READ, and SPED courses with letter grades of “C” or better.
- Completed all required Curriculum and Methods courses with letter grades of “C” or better.
- Completed all but one of the required content courses in his or her major with a “C” or better in all content courses (as listed on the approved curriculum summary sheets.)
- Met all requirements imposed by the content area.
- Earned an overall G.P.A. of at least 3.00.
- Achieved a “Target” rating on the Content Portfolio (Completed in LiveText.com).
- Successful and documented completion of 125 hours of field work including Field I, Field II, Practicum I, and Practicum II.
- Provided documentation of negative tuberculin test/ PPD test (within past 12 months).
- Acquisition of WVDE student teaching permit.
Candidates who have met these requirements must complete the Application for Student Teaching. The Director of Teacher Education will complete a file review of each applicant, including all course dispositions. Written notification of admission or denial to clinical student teaching will be sent to each applicant.
Clinical Student Teaching Placements
Student teaching outside the West Liberty University area is not possible as it involves regular observation visits from WLU supervisors, who are unable to make multiple long-distance trips during the semester. In addition, student teachers are required to attend regular seminars on campus, which necessitates being in the WLU area. For these reasons, all student teaching placements arranged by the Teacher Education program are within the WLU placement area.
Clinical Student Teaching Attempts
After a teacher candidate has made two unsuccessful attempts in two different semesters to complete the student teaching requirement for graduation and certification, that teacher candidate will be removed from program and no longer be eligible for student teaching placement.